"CRYSTAL BROOK - WHERE THE FLINDERS BEGIN!" Crystal Brook by balhannah
Crystal Brook Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 14 photos
FIRST VT PAGE ON CRYSTAL BROOK
Crystal Brook is the southern gateway to the Flinders Ranges.
Located 198 km north of Adelaide, it's in the heart of some of South Australia's most productive sheep and wheat country.
Big grain silos and two wonderful stands of tall trees, a main street with lovely peppercorn trees, historic buildings, it's a little like time has stood still, but we did find more people out and about here, than the previous town of Laura.
The area was first explored by Edward John Eyre who passed through the district in 1839.
It was changed to Crystal Brook when William Younghusband and Peter Ferguson established a pastoral property by that name 'Crystal Brook Run', which extended across to Port Pirie and occupied 560 square miles.
The main homestead, Bowman Park, is now part of the Bowman Park Native Fauna Section.
By 1873, the township of Crystal Brook had been surveyed and proclaimed. Slowly it grew, but it was never to become a major centre.
After enjoying a full day tour of some delightful towns in the Southern Flinder's Ranges, we head back to Port Pirie to spend the night, then in the morning we move onto the lovely seaside town of ARDROSSAN
- In a nutshell:Attractive South Australian country town
Mention something "big" in Australia, and people flock to see it! Well, here in Crystal Brook is something different,... more travel advice
This is an interesting walk to do. I came across numerous rocks with plaques and a silhouette made out of a piece of... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Crystal Brook Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Crystal Brook
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (271)
Have you been to Crystal Brook?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crystal Brook
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 740 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues