"CENTRAL HIGHLANDS OF QUEENSLAND" Emerald by balhannah
Emerald Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 36 photos
NOT as the name suggests, you do not find Emeralds here.
YES, it is an area where you find gems, those being Sapphires.
It is one of the richest Sapphire areas in the southern Hemisphere.
Emerald, established in 1879, is the largest town in the Central Highlands
We found it to be quite a surprise as it was green and had nice gardens. We found out that it was the greenery of the area as to how it got its name, (Emerald Green colour)
The area also has one of the largest Coal mines.
We made our base at Emerald seeing it was a nice town, and then did day trips out.
We saw the Fairbairn Dam, and lots of Orange groves.
Water from the spillway flows into the Nogoa river which runs through the town.
In January 2008, a once in a 100 year flood happened, hard to imagine when you are visiting the town.
Water was approx 4.5metre above the top of the Dam spillway, all of this going into the Nogoa river, and heading into Emerald and flooding a lot of the town.
More than 3000 people had to be evacuated, at a coalmine, a Helicopter had to rescue employees.
With its association with Sunflowers, in Morton park on an easel, is the WORLD'S BIGGEST VAN GOGH SUNFLOWER PAINTING.
A lot of nice accommodation is availabe to choose from.
Emerald is the Northern entrance to the mighty Carnarvon Gorge. Carnarvon Gorge is approx. 240kms away and there is accommodation there. - A must see if you are this close.
- Pros:A nice town to stay, and then visit the surrounding areas.
- Cons:Rember this is inland Australia, distances are large
- In a nutshell:An oasis in the outback
One thing you don't need to worry about in Australia, is finding Toilets. They are everywhere, including the smallest of... more travel advice
The world's biggest Van Gogh sunflower painting is situated in Morton Park, Emerald. Emerald, famous as a major... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Emerald Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Emerald"
- "CENTRAL HIGHLANDS OF QUEENSLAND"
- "Emerald the Jump off point to the Gemfields"
- "EMERALD CENTRAL WESTERN QUEENSLAND"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Emerald
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (259)
Have you been to Emerald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Emerald
Photos in EmeraldSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 740 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 164 reviews, 317 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues