"THE RUGGED FLINDERS RANGES" Flinders Ranges by balhannah

Flinders Ranges Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 322 photos

THE FLINDERS RANGES, A LAND OF RUGGED MOUNTAINS, OF DROUGHTS AND FLOODING RAINS, OF PEACEFUL GORGES AND TREE LINED CREEKS, WILDLIFE AND WILDFLOWERS, ABORIGINAL PAINTINGS AND HEARTBREAKING TALES................

THIS IS THE FLINDERS RANGES.

The Flinders Ranges is the largest mountain range in South Australia, which starts approx 200 km north west of Adelaide.

The most famous landmark is Wilpena Pound, a large, natural amphitheatre covering nearly 80 square kms.

In the north, is the Arkaroola wilderness sanctuary and the Vulkathunha-Gammon Ranges National Park.

The south, has the Pichi Richi scenic railway and Mount Remarkable National Park.

There are so many walking tracks, you would need to stay a week in order to see the majority!

We are now going to visit some of the towns of the Flinders Ranges.
We will go to QUORN, a beautiful town worth spending a little time at!~

• Pros:Stunning scenery
  • Cons:Some of the dirt roads can be rough. Very hot in Summer
  • In a nutshell:Some of the best Mountain scenery in Australia
  • Last visit to Flinders Ranges: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2012

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Magical page Dee: I particularly like the look of Alligator Gorge - though I presume that there are no bona fide 'gators (perhaps some freshies?)
    I really wanted to get up into the Flinders Ranges when I was last in SA, but time restrictions meant that I had to choose between this and Kangaroo Island, so I chose the latter. I had a brilliant time, but it broke my heart to have to make the choice (the choices I like best are the ones where the answer is, "Both")!
    Regards
    cathy

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Flinders Ranges

Have you been to Flinders Ranges?

Photos in Flinders Ranges