"AMAZING VOLCANIC PLUGS!" Glass House Mountains National Park by balhannah
Glass House Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 34 photos
There is quite an interesting story to these unusual looking Mountains that
rise abruptly from the flat surrounding land.
The Mountains are.......
Tibrogargan 364metre high............
Beerwah 555m .......
Elimbah 129m ...........
and what they call the "Twins"...Tunbubudla 293 & 312 metres high.
The Aboriginal legend has Mt. Tibrogargan as the father....
Mt. Beerwah the mother, and their children are the other mountains with Coonowrin the eldest child, and Tunbubudla were the twins.
The story is......Tibrogargan [the father] noticed that the sea was rising .....
so he called to Coonowrin [eldest son] to help his pregnant mother gather the young children together so that the family could escape from the rising sea.
Coonowrin was scared and ran away in fear! Tibrogargan was not happy with his son, he thought he was a coward, so followed and hit him so hard with a club that his neck was dislocated.
When the seas returned to normal, the family returned to the plains.
Poor Coonowrin was teased about his crooked neck and was so ashamed of his behaviour that he went to Tibrogargan and asked for forgiveness. All his Father and Brother's did, was weep with shame, and that is why there are so many small streams in the area.
Tibrogargan then asked Coonowran why he didn't help Beerwah.
His explanation was that he felt she was big enough to look after herself, though he did not know she was pregnant.
Tibrogargan then turned his back on his son and still gazes out to sea
today, refusing to look at his son who forever hangs his crooked neck and
Beerwah, the mother, is still pregnant, as it takes time to give birth to a mountain!
The Glass House Mountains National Park was named by Captain Cook as he mapped the Queensland coast in 1770
Matthew Flinders was the next European to visit the area in 1799. He came ashore and climbed Mount Beerburrum from which he surveyed
the whole of Moreton Bay.
The Glasshouse Mountains are approximately 30 km from Brisbane and
120 km from the Gold Coast,
travelling time is half an hour and 1.5 hours from the Gold Coast.
Just follow the Bruce Highway from Brisbane and follow the signs.
Drive to the Glass House Mountains lookout for a great view of the many
Within the park, there are eight walking tracks ranging from 25 minutes to
three hours, these cater for all levels of walkers.
Fit walkers with rockclimbing skills can reach the summits of
Mounts Tibrogargan, Ngungun or Beerwah.
Rock climbers can climb and abseil Mount Ngungun.
Nearby towns are..........
Beerburrum, [ only 1km from the Mountain] Glass House Mountains, [the town], Beerwah, Landsborough, Maleny, Peachester.
Not only does this area have the National Park,
but it is a fertile agricultural area, growing crops of pineapples,
strawberries, macadamia nuts, avocados and tobacco.
Stop at the roadside produce stalls selling local fruit and vegees,
nothing like the smell of a freshly picked Pineapple, straight from the farm!
There are Motels and plenty of Caravan Parks, and good places for meals.
If you are in Brisbane, pay a visit to this area, IT IS NICE!
- Pros:Great views! Fascinating Mountains!
- Cons:Gets a fair amount of rain
- In a nutshell:Walks, views, fresh fruit & vegetables!
Parrots in Paradise......I picked up the brochure at the information centre, and put it on our must visit list. I wanted... more travel advice
Mt Tunbubudla, also known as the Twins (west twin 294m, east twin 338m), is composed of something called "alkali... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Glass House Mountains National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AMAZING VOLCANIC PLUGS!"
- "Glass House Mountain Road"
- "Glasshouse Mountains National Park"
- "Glasshouse Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glass House Mountains National Park
- Restaurants in Glass House Mountains National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Glass House Mountains National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glass House Mountains National Park
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (516)
Have you been to Glass House Mountains National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glass House Mountains National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Glass House Mountains National Park travel pages
- updated a Glass House Mountains National Park Travel Page "AMAZING VOLCANIC PLUGS!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "AMAZING VOLCANIC PLUGS!"
- Wrote a Review PARROTS IN PARADISE in Glass House Mountains National Park Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Glass House Mountains National ParkSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues