"CELTIC COUNTRY" Top 5 Page for this destination Glen Innes by balhannah
Glen Innes Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 199 photos
Glen Innes is the highest largest town in Australia.
This area is known for its spectacular scenery of which large/huge granite boulders play a major part.
This area I always find fascinating!
Glen Innes has many attractions, experiences, festivals, and events, and some World Heritage national parks nearby, plus some of the world’s richest gem and mineral fields.
The main industries are mainly rural.....
Wool, Sheep, Cattle, Agriculture, Viticulture, Sapphires & Tourism.
Glen Innes is the Celtic Capital of Australia, and celebrates this with the annual Australian Celtic Festival held at the Australian Standing Stones
The district's first settlers were mostly Scots. The very first of them was from Selkirkshire, who in 1838, took up what is now known as Stonehenge Station.
Among the early settlers was William Vivers from Dumfriesshire who founded Kings Plains Station. His grandson built a castle on the property to re-create a piece Scotland in the Australian bush, it certainly has a grand building that looks like a Castle, complete with Ivy.
Accommodation is available there.
Glen Innes was named after another Scot, Archibald Clunes Innes, who came from Thrumster, Caithness-shire.
A captain, he arrived in Australia in 1822 on the Eliza in charge of 170 convicts. He too, held a number of New England properties including Glen Innes Station.
Glen Innes does have distinctive seasons.
Expect it to be very cold in Winter! Snow falls sometimes and in any Winter a wood fire will be burning for warmth.
Autumn is a lovely time to be in Glen Innes as all the Trees turn into Reds, Golds and Auburns.
Of course Spring, and the bulbs like the Daffodils pop up each year and bloom.
Summer, and the average temperature is about 25deg.
Glen Innes is only a 4 hour drive from Brisbane, via the New England Highway,
and 4.5hours from the Gold coast via the Bruxner Highway through Ballina & Lismore.
It is 7hours from Sydney via the Pacific and New England Highways.
Rainfall isn't high with only 750-850mm per year.
If you decide to come for a visit, there are many
Hotels/Motels/Caravan Parks/Bed&Breakfasts as it is a stop-over point.
Up early, as today is our last day on our 11,500km road trip holiday to Southern Australia. Still some more stops before home, the next being at TENTERFIELD, where Singer, Dancer, Entertainer - Peter Allen was born.
Next town on 2015 road trip is GUYRA
- Pros:Lots of beautiful heritage buildings, great scenery
- Cons:Winter is cold
- In a nutshell:A different landscape with interesting granite outcrops
"Smeatons Bakery is famous for its great pies and great service." I have to agree with part of this. The service was... more travel advice
Tourist drive 11 is a 140 km drive that either begins or ends in Glen Innes or Deepwater. It's a loop, one where you can... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Glen Innes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CELTIC COUNTRY"
- "some great architecture & more !"
- "The Celtic Connection"
- "Hello Again Glen Innes"
- "GLEN INNES...NEW ENGLAND N.S.W."
- "Beautiful Glen Innes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Innes
- Hotels in Glen Innes
- Transportation in Glen Innes
- Restaurants in Glen Innes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Innes
- 20 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (547)
Have you been to Glen Innes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Innes
Photos in Glen InnesSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 170 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues