"HOME OF THE GOONDIWINDI GREY" Top 5 Page for this destination Goondiwindi by balhannah
Goondiwindi Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 69 photos
Goondiwindi's name stems from Aboriginal origin, meaning 'resting place of the birds'
Located 368kms from Brisbane, this country town has lovely tree-lined streets, especially pretty in Spring when the Jacaranda's are in bloom, well kept gardens and the Macintyre River, whose beauty is one of the town's greatest assets.
Goondiwindi is situated on the Queensland and New South Wales border, the border being the MacIntyre River.
Settled in the 1840s by pastoralists, Goondiwindi emerged in the latter half of the 19th century as an important administrative and commercial centre.
The town's major rural products include wheat, cotton, beef and wool, while major industries include service industries, machinery sales and repairs.
Goondiwindi is also home to one of the largest cotton gins in the world and tours are available.
Goondiwindi is one of Queensland's fastest growing rural communities,
with a population of more than 14,000 people residing in the town and surrounding region.
The Newell Highway also runs through Goondiwindi and is described as the gateway to the Western Downs.
Racing fans will know Goondiwindi as the home of the famous Gunsynd racehorse, affectionately nicknamed the 'Goondiwindi Grey'.
A nice large town, perfect for that overnight stop when you are heading either north or south.
Stop, and have a look around, you will be surprised of what there is to see and do here!
GOONDIWINDI is the end of day 1 on our 11,500km trip to South Australia and Eyre Peninsula in 2012
We are now heading across the MacIntyre River and into New South Wales, where we are stopping at MOREE
2014 road trip, and once again we are looking for somewhere to stop. The information centre gave us some help, but we decided to head across the river to NSW and Free camp along the Newell Highway. This completes day 1.
After a good nights sleep, we hit the road and head for the lovely town of MOREE
- Pros:Nice town to spend time in
- In a nutshell:A very nice stop-over point on your travels
If you want to see and original old home, still in its original state, then take a drive along Marshall Street. It is... more travel advice
We did both. First, we walked the main street, having a look in the shop windows, and then admiring the different styles... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Goondiwindi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE GOONDIWINDI GREY"
- "Sweetberry's Goondiwindi Page"
- "Gundy in other words Goondiwindi"
- "GOONDAWINDI..BORDER TOWN..QUEENSLAND ..NSW.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goondiwindi
- Hotels in Goondiwindi
- Restaurants in Goondiwindi
- Shopping in Goondiwindi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goondiwindi
- 17 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (586)
Have you been to Goondiwindi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goondiwindi
Photos in GoondiwindiSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues