"HOME OF THE STUNNING JACARANDA FESTIVAL" Top 5 Page for this destination Grafton by balhannah

Grafton Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 335 photos

The world-renowned Jacaranda Festival is held yearly in Grafton, from the last weekend in October to the first weekend in November.

This year [2013] my husband and I attended the festival. On my pages, I will cover some of the events and places to see at the Festival.

A LITTLE HISTORY

Grafton, like many other settlements in the area, was first opened up to white settlement by the cedar-getters. It was an escaped convict, Richard Craig, who 'discovered' the district in 1831. With plenty of 'red gold' cedar just waiting for exploitation, he was given a pardon and one hundred pounds to bring a party of cedar-getters on the cutter 'Prince George" to the region.
Word of such wealth to be had, did not take long to spread, and one of the
arrivals was pioneer John Small on the 'Susan' in 1838. He first occupied land on Woodford Island - the 'The Settlement' was established shortly after.

By 1851, the first sale of town blocks was taking place and Governor
Fitzroy officially named the town 'Grafton', after his grandfather, the Duke of Grafton. By 1885 it had developed sufficiently to be proclaimed a city.

There are many beautiful heritage buildings in Grafton which have been classified by the National Trust.
Along with many private houses, the Christ Church Cathedral, the Grafton Gaol and Historic homesteads have been preserved.

The mighty Clarence River, which brought in the first white settlers, still plays an important role in the city's life.'

Boating and watersports as well as fishing, both commercial and recreational are a major attraction.

Water-ski enthusiasts shouldn't miss the annual Bridge to Bridge Ski Race, which is held every October long weekend, and the Bridge to Bridge Sailing
Classic is held every November.

There are more than 6,500 trees, a lot of them Jacaranda's providing shade and colour in the city.

GRAFTON IS A CITY, WELL WORTH TAKING THE SHORT DETOUR TO FROM THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY

Well, if you have been following my sea-side tour, we are now travelling inland and heading home, following scenic route 22 to Lawrence.

• Pros:Heritage buildings and the Jacaranda lined streets
  • Cons:Street parking hard to find
  • In a nutshell:Stunning when the Jacaranda's are flowering!
  • Last visit to Grafton: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2013

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Enjoyed your page Dee, Do not think I have been to Grafton, although I have driven Brisbane to Sydney 3 times since 2005.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Festival of flowers, nice, but a pity there are no photos of orchids.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Nice to read Ted Egan is still alive, I always thought he was older than me.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2014 at 1:50 AM

This sounds like a great festival. Interesting tips!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM

The Jacaranda trees & shrubs look beautiful. The men's shed is a good idea to practice DIY.

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I recently came across an old videotape in my collection of a TV programme of the Jacaranda Festival - mostly historic material. It's very interesting. Must dig it out and put some clips from it up here. I have my own bits too. I'll get to work on that. :-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Wow, this place has just about a little bit of everything for someone to see and do. The trees are gorgeous and all the museums are fantastic. I got a chuckle at the potato cart:) Excellent page Dee!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Jacaranda trees are really beautiful and the festival really colourful. It is absolutely great with free breakfast and entertainment and even free entrance for visitors to see those lovely gardens. Hope to visit Jacaranda Festival one day! Thanks for your virtual tour with excellent photographs. ~ho & pang

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

What a nice town and I love the jacaranda trees! I'd love to have one in my yard! Love the parades too.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

What a lovely page, I love the purple trees :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I would love for you to come and see the Grafton Jacaranda festival!
      Thanks for visiting, glad you liked it!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Grafton

Have you been to Grafton?

Latest Activity in Grafton