"HOME OF THE STUNNING JACARANDA FESTIVAL" Top 5 Page for this destination Grafton by balhannah
Grafton Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 335 photos
The world-renowned Jacaranda Festival is held yearly in Grafton, from the last weekend in October to the first weekend in November.
This year  my husband and I attended the festival. On my pages, I will cover some of the events and places to see at the Festival.
A LITTLE HISTORY
Grafton, like many other settlements in the area, was first opened up to white settlement by the cedar-getters. It was an escaped convict, Richard Craig, who 'discovered' the district in 1831. With plenty of 'red gold' cedar just waiting for exploitation, he was given a pardon and one hundred pounds to bring a party of cedar-getters on the cutter 'Prince George" to the region.
Word of such wealth to be had, did not take long to spread, and one of the
arrivals was pioneer John Small on the 'Susan' in 1838. He first occupied land on Woodford Island - the 'The Settlement' was established shortly after.
By 1851, the first sale of town blocks was taking place and Governor
Fitzroy officially named the town 'Grafton', after his grandfather, the Duke of Grafton. By 1885 it had developed sufficiently to be proclaimed a city.
There are many beautiful heritage buildings in Grafton which have been classified by the National Trust.
Along with many private houses, the Christ Church Cathedral, the Grafton Gaol and Historic homesteads have been preserved.
The mighty Clarence River, which brought in the first white settlers, still plays an important role in the city's life.'
Boating and watersports as well as fishing, both commercial and recreational are a major attraction.
Water-ski enthusiasts shouldn't miss the annual Bridge to Bridge Ski Race, which is held every October long weekend, and the Bridge to Bridge Sailing
Classic is held every November.
There are more than 6,500 trees, a lot of them Jacaranda's providing shade and colour in the city.
GRAFTON IS A CITY, WELL WORTH TAKING THE SHORT DETOUR TO FROM THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY
Well, if you have been following my sea-side tour, we are now travelling inland and heading home, following scenic route 22 to Lawrence.
- Pros:Heritage buildings and the Jacaranda lined streets
- Cons:Street parking hard to find
- In a nutshell:Stunning when the Jacaranda's are flowering!
This year, , the first Clarence Valley Country Music Muster was held over three days at a property in Calliope.... more travel advice
If you like seeing old historic buildings, then do not forget to visit South Grafton, located on the Pacific Highway... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Grafton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE STUNNING JACARANDA FESTIVAL"
- "It's only an hour away from home"
- "Grafton ...the Jacaranda city"
- "And, on your left, Grafton"
- "Bicycle Touring Australia - Grafton"
- "JACARANDAS AROUND GRAFTON"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grafton
- Hotels in Grafton
- Transportation in Grafton
- Nightlife in Grafton
- Restaurants in Grafton
- Shopping in Grafton
- Warnings and Dangers in Grafton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grafton
- 53 Reviews
- 229 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Grafton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grafton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue