""MEETING PLACE OF THE SWAN"" Inverell by balhannah
Inverell Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 45 photos
Alexander Campbell, a Scottish immigrant, gave Inverell its name,
which means 'meeting place of the swans' in Gaelic.
In 1835, Campbell established Inverell Station and set about converting
the bush into a working farm.
Diamonds were discovered at Copes Creek in 1875,
and mining for sapphires started in 1916.
Bauxite, lead, silver and diamonds have also been mined there commercially.
Inverell, is located in what is known as Gemstone country.
Inverell has hot summer temperatures, approx. 30 °c or hotter,
with the summer low temperature about 14 °c.
The winter high temperature for Inverell is approximately 16 °c,
with it getting quite cold at nights, maybe 1 °c or less quite often,
I can tell you it gets COLD!
Inverell has an excellent Visitor Information Centre.
You want to take a walk along the streets, there are actually two main
streets, and have a look at the many historical buildings.
As well as enjoying fossicking, there are many attractions,
including the Inverell Pioneer Museum and the Transport Museum
Lake Inverell Reserve, located east of the town centre,
is home to many birds and waterfowl.
Copeton Waters State Park is a really huge dam
(three times the size of Sydney Harbour when full)
and is 40km from Inverell.
Goonoowigall Bushland Reserve, located 5km south, has picnic spots
and walking trails, wildlife and over 100 species of birds.
- Pros:Nice sized town
- Cons:Can be very cold in Winter
- In a nutshell:Good Town for a base to go sightseeing from
There are not a lot of towns in Australia that have reverse parking, but Inverell is one of them. When driving in... more travel advice
I thought there were lots of very nice heritage buildings in Inverell, and a lot of them were in Otho Street. Here are... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Inverell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""MEETING PLACE OF THE SWAN""
- "Not quite a destination"
- "INVERELL...(meeting place of the swan)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inverell
- Hotels in Inverell
- Restaurants in Inverell
- Warnings and Dangers in Inverell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inverell
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (472)
Have you been to Inverell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inverell
Photos in InverellSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues