"IPSWICH - OLDE WORLD CHARM HERE!" Ipswich by balhannah

Ipswich Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 162 photos

2012 - If you are following my 11,500km trip, our next TOWN is ROSEWOOD

Ipswich is Queensland's oldest provincial city.

Located only 40 minute's from central Brisbane it is the perfect place for a day's adventure.

There is the Greg Norman designed Golf course of the Brookwater Golf Club, a picturesque and challenging Championship course.

What I really like, is the city's rich history, discovering the city's graceful colonial homes, superb old churches and historic sandstone buildings, It is renowned for its architectural, natural and cultural heritage and proudly preserves more than 6000 heritage-listed sites.

You will see many different designs, either on a heritage walking tour or by just driving around the city.

You can easily spend a full day here!

Ipswich under water in January 2011

Unprecedented rainfall, caused the Bremer river that runs through the city of Ipswich to break it banks and flood the Ipswich CBD and low lying areas.

Lets go for a walk around Ipswich and view some of the many Heritage listed buildings..................

A thriving city & Heritage experience!

In the travelogues, I have added photos of the many styles of heritage homes found in Ipswich.

• Pros:Lovely heritage city
  • Cons:Can be very hot in summer, and very cold in Winter
  • In a nutshell:A good city to see historic queensland homes
  • Last visit to Ipswich: Jan 2016
  • Intro Updated Feb 12, 2016

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2016 at 5:03 AM

Thanks for the tour Dee! I think this is a place I would enjoy. The Japanese Garden and the Dinosaur tracks would be high on my list!

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM

It really is nice and has lots to offer. It is nice to see all the old homes being looked after for future generations to see. Thanks for visiting!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Lovely town, thanks for the tour.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Good additional tips! Thanks you!

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2016 at 5:00 AM

Lovely small city this Ipswich is. Thank you!

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Beautiful architecture in the home on the opening photo. Very nice

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Great page about old charming town. I enjoying in reading your travel stories! I would like to visit one day. Thank you for sharing!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Dee, great page!! Ipswich looks like great little town to visit. I love Queensland architecture and your opening photo of a beautiful home is a real winner!! I'd love to visit the Nature Park and see a Bilby (I hope they have a successful breeding program). Japanese Garden is also lovely! There is sure a lot to offer the visitor here!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Looks like they've got some nice preserved history here. If you visited in 2012, and the big floods happened in 2011, that must be that many of these historic structures survived the flood?

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Lovely homes here, most of these are in the hilly area of Ipswich and not by the River.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If I could only have more years to get out and down that way to see all the variety of wonders. Keep showing me the great sites.

May 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Oh well, At least you can travel virtually! Am away at the moment so will catch up with your new pages a little later.

• Anniko's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Hi Dee ... Thanks for the tip on the Ipswich Nature Centre ... My husband went to a speciality garage sale in Ipswich (plastic model kits) but I wasn't interested, so had to think of something for me to do ... then I read your pages on Ipswich ... I've driven past Queens Park many times, but never knew about the nature centre ... so I went there with camera in hand ... and wandered through all the toddlers and prams ... I really enjoyed looking at the animals, and have even written a review on it ... Thanks again!

balhannah Visits Here Frequently!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Ipswich

Have you been to Ipswich?

Photos in Ipswich