"IRON KNOB" Iron Knob by balhannah
Iron Knob Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
BIRTHPLACE OF AUSTRALIA'S STEEL INDUSTRY
Iron Knob is a town in South Australia on Eyre Peninsula, not far from Port Augusta.
HOW TIME CHANGES A TOWN!
Very high quality Iron ore was originally mined here for use as flux in the copper smelting industry.
As the quality was high, an iron smelting industry began, hence how it is referred to as "the birth place of the steel industry in Australia."
Iron Knob was a major contributor to Australia's iron industry.
Quarrying for iron at the town ended in 1998, but since then has re-opened as the price of iron ore has sky rocketed.
After 1998, people began to leave the town in the search for work, turning it into a ghost town.
There isn't much there now, and if you want to live here, land be purchased for approx $A35,000–70,000 and vacant land can be purchased for less than $A15,000.
You would have to be a special type of person to be able to live here.
Why did I come for a look?
When I learnt about Iron Knob at school, it was a busy town at the base of a very busy mine, so I was interested to see what it was like now.
Nothing like the old Iron Knob!
Deoarting Iron Knob, we join onto the Eyre Highway again and drive for 90kms to the next town which is KIMBA, home of the Big Galah.
KIMBA IS LOCATED HALFWAY ACROSS AUSTRALIA.
- In a nutshell:Nothing much to see unless you are interested in mining
As said in the intro, Iron Knob is nearly a Ghost town. If you like this kind of town, then you will find some... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Iron Knob Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Iron Knob
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Iron Knob?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iron Knob
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 127 reviews, 434 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues