"KADINA - ON THE COPPER COAST" Kadina by balhannah
Kadina Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 26 photos
We are now going to tour both sides and the bottom of YORKE PENINSULA on our 11,500km road trip around southern Australia
Kadina is approx 144 kms from the state capital of Adelaide.
The name "Kadina" is thought to be derived from Kadiyinya, an (indigenous) Narungga tribe word meaning 'Lizard Plain'
Three Copper Triangle towns famous for their shared copper mining history are Moonta, Wallaroo and Kadina which is the largest of the three towns.
These Towns are known as "Little Cornwall" for the significant number of immigrants from Cornwall that worked at the mines in the late 19th century.
The biennial Kernewek Lowender (Cornish Festival) is held in May of odd numbered years. This is a joint festival of the 3 towns of the Copper Triangle celebrating their Cornish heritage. Expect a festival of fairs, dancing, games, old car processions and plenty of cornish pasties.
It is the world's largest Cornish festival with over 80,000 people attending.
Yorke Peninsula Field Days are also held biennially in September in odd years.
Kadina has a dry Mediterranean climate with an average winter temperature of 15.4°C and the average summer temperature is 30.5°C.
The weather patterns are similar to those of Adelaide.
Kadina's surrounds are used for growing barley, wheat and other crops such as legumes, canola, chickpeas, field peas, Barley and wheat.
The Barley and Wheat is considered to be some of the best in the world.
- Pros:Good Crayfishing & Fishing!
- In a nutshell:Lots of nice heritage buildings.
YUM! I had to come all the way from Queensland to "LITTLE CORNWALL" in South Australia to enjoy a Cornish pasty! These... more travel advice
Kadina is a very good area for farming sheep, wheat and barley grain crops. When we were there in April, all had been... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Kadina Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Cherating Beach
- Mosquito Island Hotels
- Daulatabad Hotels
- San Benedetto del Tronto
- Kampong Java Park Hotels
- Den Bosch Hotels
- Oregon Caves National Monument Hotels
- East Rochester
- Houma Hotels
- Pran Buri
- Republic of Serbia
- Al Mintaqah ash Sharqiyah
- As Sulaymaniyah
- Nowy Targ
Badges & Stats in Kadina
- 15 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Kadina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kadina
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue