"KANGAROO ISLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island by balhannah
Kangaroo Island Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 723 photos
KANGAROO ISLAND IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES IN AUSTRALIA TO SEE NATIVE WILDLIFE AND FLORA
On the Island are kangaroos, Koalas, Echidnas, Platypus, Goannas, Birds (255 species, many rare or endangered), Albatross, Seals, Sea lions, Dolphins, Whales (in season) and little Penguins.
It was during the last Ice Age that Kangaroo Island became separated from the mainland. This is the reason why so many plants and animals no longer found elsewhere can be found on the Island. There are over 850 native plants registered on Kangaroo Island with over 400 different species found within the Flinders Chase National Park.
Its shores are also home to the elusive leafy-sea dragon.
Throw in fantastic coastal scenery and you will understand why this island is special! .
Kangaroo Island is Australia's third largest island (after Tasmania and Melville Island).
It is separated from Cape Jervis on the mainland by the narrow Backstairs Passage, and from Yorke Peninsula to the north by Investigator Strait.
Often visitors are deceived, finding the island is much larger than they expect it to be........... about 155 km long and 55 km wide at its widest. Still, lots of the roads are dirt and can only be slowly driven along.
Kangaroo Island is located 110 km south-west of Adelaide.
It was Captain Matthew Flinders aboard the Investigator who was the first European to officially site the Island in March 1802.
Flinders landed and named the Island....'Kanguroo Island," only the spelling is now Kangaroo Island.
Aboriginal artefacts and campsites have been found on the Island, so it is thought to have been inhabited maybe 10,000 years ago.
It is still a mystery as to why the Aboriginal people may have left the Island.
The first European settlers of the Island were deserters from English and American whaling ships and sealers who arrived on the Island in the early 1800's.
So now, let me take you on a virtual tour of "KI" as it is affectionately known by Australians.
DID YOU ENJOY THE TOUR?
We have packed our bags and are on the Ferry again heading to Cape Jervis from where we will continue our 11,500 road trip around Southern Australia.
We will stop at historic STRATHALBYN to pick up our van, and then head onto the Grape growing area of LANGHORNE CREEK.
- Pros:Lots of wildlife and fabulous scenery
- Cons:Quite windy, and can be quite cold
- In a nutshell:Fantastic! A must visit when in Australia!
Kangaroo Island has every kind of accommodation to suit everybody's budget! So, lets start with the cheapest, which is... more travel advice
As well as visiting the ruins in the park, the walk takes you past some wonderful views. Down by the Sea, the rocks were... more travel advice
Written Dec 2, 2012
MORE OF POINT ELLEN / VIVONNE BAY
Written Dec 10, 2012
MORE OF REMARKABLE ROCKS
balhannah's Related Pages
Kangaroo Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KANGAROO ISLAND"
- "Natural beauty"
- "Down under 'Down Under': Kangaroo Island"
- "Kangaroo Island - A South Australian Experience"
- "Kangaroo Island, South Australia"
- "G'day mate!"
- "One Day in Kangaroo Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kangaroo Island
- Hotels in Kangaroo Island
- Transportation in Kangaroo Island
- Nightlife in Kangaroo Island
- Restaurants in Kangaroo Island
- Shopping in Kangaroo Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Kangaroo Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kangaroo Island
- 81 Reviews
- 289 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (476)
Have you been to Kangaroo Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kangaroo Island
Photos in Kangaroo IslandSee All Photos (289)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues