"KIAMA" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiama by balhannah

Kiama Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 129 photos

'WHERE THE SEA MAKES A NOISE"

Interesting, the Aboriginal word for this town means “Where the sea makes a noise," definitely a reference to the famous Kiama Blowhole.

In 1797, George Bass anchored his Whaleboat in the sheltered bay, now
known as Kiama Harbour.

In the 1870’s Dairying was supplemented by Balsat (Blue Metal) quarrying, now one of the Districts major income earners.

Kiama is set in a very pretty area, amongst rolling hills and Dairy Cattle, with the Ocean on the other side with secluded little coves, nice beaches,
jagged cliffs and stunning scenery

This is a small town, with quite a few historical buildings, and some good nearby scenic drives.

It is a favorite of mine!

• Pros:Nice beaches, Nice area
  • In a nutshell:Nice spot for a relaxing holiday.
  • Last visit to Kiama: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2013

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

The blowholes look interesting :)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Love the pink cow and I bet you do too. The Terrace Houses also appeal to me. Would love to browse those shops.

• glendon1's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Hi Balhannah,
    Your pictures, and comments on Kiama bring back memories of a year we spent living in Kiama during the early 1970's. I taught at Dapto
    High School, near Wollongong, and commuted from Kiama to Dapto every day. It is a beautifull drive.I remember the traffic jams in Kiama every holiday as the main street was the only route to the south coast.
    I understand this has changed with an addition of a new road. We also lived in Gilgandra for a year, and visited the Warrumbungles often with our two young boys. This was a great experience for a young couple from Canada. My wife has kept up a friendship with a woman who now lives near Newcastle. We are hhoping to make a return visit to Oz in the near future. Doug

• Mar 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

The terrace house in your picture.. the first one... I basically grew up in that home.. my Nan lived there for many years and I have many fantastic memories growing up there with my brothers and cousins.. thanks for the pic.. made me teary.. :)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

So there is free parking next to the explosive natural blowhole? Fair eneough.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Kiama