"BEAUTIFUL LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Lamington National Park by balhannah
Lamington National Park Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 164 photos
ABOUT LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK
Lamington National Park is located in the Gold Coast hinterland, with the most popular areas being Green Mountain & Binna Burra.
An unusual name, you ask?
It was named after Lord Lamington, the Governor of Queensland when the park was declared in July, 1915, and became a World Heritage park in 1994.
As this is a Mountain area, it receives a very high rainfall, with most of it coming from the east, so areas on the coastal side of the plateau can have an annual rainfall up to 2500mm. and western areas have annual falls of about 850mm per year.
If travelling from Brisbane, it is situated approximately 110km south in part of a mountainous area known as the MacPherson Ranges.
A IMPORTANT EVENT
It was February, 1937, when a Stinson airliner dissappeared on a routine flight from Brisbane to Sydney. The plane was supposed to land at Lismore to pick up some passengers, but never arrived. People living in the nearby Kerry Valley, reported seeing the plane fly over-head and towards the McPherson Range, Bernard O'Reilly heard these reports and decided to investigate.
And, so began one of the most remarkable rescue stories in Australia's history - a week after the plane was reported missing.
After forging his way through dense rainforest, Bernard, from the top of Mt. Throakban, sighted a burnt tree some 8 km away. Three hours later he discovered the wreck of the plane. ....and two men - alive after 10 days! ......
Remember, this is dense rainforest & mountainous terrain!
Four men died in the crash, but three survived, Joe Binstead, John Proud and Jim Westrey. Proud and Binstead were found by Bernard at the crash site, they told him that Westrey had gone to find help.
After staying with the two men for a while, Bernard began the long journey to get help for the two men, and on the way found Westrey's body at the base of a waterfall - apparently he had fallen over the falls and died as a result of his injuries.
Bernard returned with a small group, including a doctor, while a large group of farmers cut 16 km of track through the rugged jungle so the two men could be brought out by stretcher.
The victims of the crash were buried in a common grave at the crash site. Jim Westrey was buried next to Christmas Creek.
February, 1926, and O'Reilly's guest house was opened for business.
Even though access to the mountain was still not easy, people started visiting the guest house in droves, excited by the prospect of the journey up the mountain. Now days, the road is quite good, but not a speed track, as it is narrow, windy, mountain road with incredible views for the passengers!
You can stay at O'Reilly's in the guesthouse, camp in the campgrounds or just come for a lovely days outing, there is plenty to see and do in this area.
One thing to remember when visiting, because it is high in the mountains, the temperature is cooler, even on the hottest of days, and even though you leave home in fine weather, it might be in fog up there!
There are many excellent walks, ranging from short & easy, to longer and more difficult.
If you want to know more about the park, check out this website.......
Also have a look at Springbrook National Park which adjoins Lamington National Park.
- Pros:Beautiful national park
- Cons:Very narrow windy road
- In a nutshell:A lovely getaway
This lookout is a MUST STOP on the way up to O'Reilly's. It is located about 10kms from O'Reilly's, not far from the... more travel advice
There are small Botanic gardens at O'Reilly's......that to me, are nothing spectacular. However, in saying this, you... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Lamington National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK"
- "Lamington National Park"
- "A National Icon"
- "Feel The Forrest"
- "LAMMINGTON NATIONAL PARK"
- "Impressive and commercial"
- "Tamborine Mountain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lamington National Park
- Hotels in Lamington National Park
- Transportation in Lamington National Park
- Restaurants in Lamington National Park
- Shopping in Lamington National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lamington National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamington National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (487)
Have you been to Lamington National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamington National Park
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: extended trip to australia"
- Commented on one of jewels63's Lamington National Park tips
- updated a Lamington National Park Travel Page "BEAUTIFUL LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK"
- Uploaded a Photo to "BEAUTIFUL LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK"
- Wrote a Review KAMARUN LOOKOUT in Lamington National Park Things to Do
Photos in Lamington National ParkSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues