"LAURA - A TYPICAL NORTHERN TOWN" Laura by balhannah
Laura Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 41 photos
Laura is a delightful northern town in South Australia, made famous by having the Golden North Ice-cream factory here.
Laura was named after the wife of pioneer pastoralist Herbert Hughes. Her name was Laura Bristow Hughes
The town was founded as a district centre in 1871 after his vast ?Booyoolee Run? was carved up into settler farms.
Two Chinese market gardeners settled here and implemented South Australia's first irrigation system to grow vegetables and fruit at Laura.
Beer, ice and dairy products were later produced in the town for shipment to Broken Hill after its mining operations were established in the 1880s.
Flax was also produced in the area.
This poem, 'Laura Days' was written by Poet C.J. Dennis, to celebrate the town's Golden Jubilee (50years) in 1932.
"When the evening sun slants through the gums,
By my forest-rimmed abode
Once more the old clear picture comes,
And my mind drifts down the road;
Back to the town by Beetaloo,
Where the rocky river strays;
Back to the old kind friends I knew
In the dear dead Laura days."
Laura holds a Folk Fair in April every year. There is no admission fee, and it goes for 2 days.
Then yearly in July, is the Laura Country Music Festival
After enjoying a great meal and then a walk to burn off some calories, it was time to move onto CRYSTAL BROOK, another northern town.
- In a nutshell:Great food, interesting town
This is another northern South Australian area where you will find many ruins. These are homesteads and shed, built by... more travel advice
You need to keep your eyes peeled when walking Herbert street, because there still are signs of old. In the tree trunks... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Laura Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Laura
- 12 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (609)
Have you been to Laura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laura
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 267 reviews, 783 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues