"WORLD'S RICHEST DEPOSIT OF BLACK OPAL" Lightning Ridge by balhannah
Lightning Ridge Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 152 photos
IS AT LIGHTINING RIDGE, located in outback NSW
The 'Ridge', as it is known to the locals, is different.
Do not expect to see real clean, tidy, well dressed people, and lovely homes,
but instead, people that look a little on the grubby side,
men with long beards, and holes in their trousers,
and homes that are called "Humpys".............
this is the way I see Lightning Ridge.
I would call it a "quirky" town, full of quirky characters, who may be
Millionaires, but you would not be able to tell by looking at them,
their homes, or their mode of transport.
Opal fever comes to those, who just happen to find one piece of Opal, then they can not stop looking for more!
There are people from 58 different countries that call Lightning Ridge home...............
They have Opal Fever!
This town is famous as a thriving frontier town full of the iconic Australian characters.
There are many very different experiences here, from sculptures
underground, bottle-houses, antique lamps, castles, astronomy
monuments, unique gardens, hills named 'Lunatic', 'Pig' and Bald',
'The Glengarry Hilton' and being able to tour underground mines.
Lots of the roads where the Mines are, are not named,
but instead, a coloured Car Door shows you the way.
It is also the address of the people who live here,
they live on a coloured car door road, and pick their mail up at the
Post Office, in a Post box.
Lightning Ridge is 720kms from Sydney, Brisbane (750km) and Melbourne
(1,200km) and is also serviced by CountryLink.
- Cons:You either love or hate it!
- In a nutshell:If you find the elusive Black Opal, then you are RICH!
In Summer, when Lightning Ridge hits some high temperatures, then there are several places you can go to cool off. If... more travel advice
No worries Mate, We have Toilets [washrooms] whatever, anywhere! Not like my time in Europe when it was hard to find... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Lightning Ridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WORLD'S RICHEST DEPOSIT OF BLACK OPAL"
- "Lightning Ridge - Australian Black Opal Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lightning Ridge
- Hotels in Lightning Ridge
- Shopping in Lightning Ridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Lightning Ridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lightning Ridge
- 32 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (537)
Have you been to Lightning Ridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lightning Ridge
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Animal names"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Lightning Ridge tips
- updated a Lightning Ridge Travel Page "WORLD'S RICHEST DEPOSIT OF BLACK OPAL"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Carvings in the Chambers of the Black Hand"
- Wrote a Review OLYMPIC SWIMMING POOL in Lightning Ridge Things to Do
Photos in Lightning RidgeSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 169 reviews, 325 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues