"LOBETHAL - IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS" Lobethal by balhannah
Lobethal Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 13 photos
Look out for 'Penny Farthing Man' - he appeared just prior to the 2012 Tour Down Under visit to Lobethal, compliments of local business, Henstock.
LOBETHAL WAS SETTLED BY GERMANS
In 1838, it was decided that South Australia was a suitable place for emigration.
The first German settlers arrived on 25 November, 1838 and established distinctly German villages Klemzig, Glen Osmond, Lobethal and of course, Hahndorf.
Eighteen families purchased 168 acres of land on the present site of Lobethal, and divided it up amongst themselves.
It was then, the town became known as Lobethal, which means 'Valley of praise'.
Perhaps if you are of German origin, you will know the Hufendorf settlement pattern, this is when houses run along the road and the land attached to the houses stretches behind them in narrow strips.
The town was struck by intense anti-German feelings during World War I and the name was changed to Tweedvale by a 1917 Act of Parliament.
It reverted to Lobethal in 1935.
'The bulk of the persecuted Lutherans of Lobethal, with their beloved pastor (G.D. Fritsche) came out in the ship 'Skjold' which arrived in Port Adelaide on 28 October 1841, after an eighteen weeks' trip, during which no fewer than forty-four deaths occurred. They were temporarily taken care of and welcomed by the somewhat earlier pioneers of Klemzig and Hahndorf, and some went up to the Tanunda district.'
It wasn't just farming in the district, Industries began, one of them was a Brewery which closed after 20 years of operation.
You may have heard of theOnkaparinga Woollen Company, this is where good quality Onkaparinga Blankets were made.
Lobethal also has the oldest Lutheran church in Australia - St John's, built in 1845, and the historical museum still has the Bible which belonged to the Pastor of 1641.
Nowdays, Lobethal is the centre of attraction at Christmas time, this is when the whole town lights up for the month of December.
People come from far & wide to view the town, it's like fairyland, and a pleasure for young and old to see!
Continuing on, we stop at the small historic village of MOUNT TORRENS.
Plenty of history here!
- Pros:Gorgeous Christmas lights all over town
- Cons:Can be very cold and snow
- In a nutshell:Located in a pretty setting in the Adelaide Hills
The Lobethal Centennial Hall is unusual, as it is built in Art Deco Style. The foundation stone was laid on 8 August in... more travel advice
If you are Australian, there is a good chance you once had an Onkaparinga Blanket on your bed. These were the best... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Lobethal Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lobethal
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (516)
Have you been to Lobethal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lobethal
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where are you going this year..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Lobethal tips
- updated a Lobethal Travel Page "LOBETHAL - IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS"
- Uploaded a Photo to "LOBETHAL - IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS"
- Wrote a Review LOBETHAL CENTENNIAL HALL in Lobethal Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues