"SCOTTISH TOWN - MACLEAN" Maclean by balhannah
Maclean Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 53 photos
THE wee SCOTTISH TOWN IN AUSTRALIA
Arriving at Maclean you will find Tartan everywhere! If you didn't know it was a "Scottish" town, you soon will!
Maclean is known for the sugar cane grown in the area, an important part of Maclean's heritage and economy. It is the southern gateway to the industry which grows as far north as Cairns.
The Clarence river runs beside the town, this also provides another kind of industry - Prawn trawlers catching Prawns.
The tourist may like to hire a Houseboat and travel along the Clarence river, a great way to take in the scenery, fish and relax.
As Maclean is situated in an area where National Parks & interesting towns are plentiful, you may want to make it your home base for a week and do tours out.
Accommodation ranges from camping to Bed & Breakfast, from the cheap to the most expensive.
The tourist information centre is at the southern turn-off to Maclean. As well as tourist information, there is a café and Restaurant with some nice views of the River and a Gallery of arts and crafts.Lower Clarence Aboriginal Tourist Site Drive
The information centre has a self-drive pamphlet outlining 13 significant Aboriginal sites in the area.
MACLEAN EVENTS DURING THE YEAR
Maclean Highland Gathering - April
Kirkin of the Tartan - April
Lower Clarence Dance Eisteddfod - May
Maclean Family Festival - June
Tartan Day - July
Maclean Aquatic Powerboat Regatta - August
Lower Clarence Veteran Golf Week - August
Federation Arts & Crafts Expo - September
Scottish Week - November
Lawrence Twilight Rodeo - December
Next stop, will be the historic old town of BELLINGEN
- In a nutshell:A little piece of Scottish heritage in Australia!
Maclean's Hollywood Theatre is no longer a Theatre, it closed in 1967. From the outside, the Art Deco façade is... more travel advice
As I was walking along River street, I couldn't believe how cheap the meals were. The first shop I came across was the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Maclean Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SCOTTISH TOWN - MACLEAN"
- "The Scots connection"
- "Maclean, "The Scottish Townin Australia""
- "MACLEAN..NORTHERN RIVERS..NEW SOUTH WALES..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maclean
- 16 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (276)
Have you been to Maclean?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maclean
Photos in MacleanSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues