"MARYBOROUGH & MARY POPPINS!" Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough by balhannah

Maryborough Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 368 photos

MARYBOROUGH IS A CITY THAT IS USUALLY OVERLOOKED BY TOURISTS. MOST ARE EAGER TO REACH HERVEY BAY AND JUST PASS THROUGH.
AFTER READING MY PAGES, I THINK YOU WILL AGREE - MARYBOROUGH HAS LOTS TO OFFER AND IS WELL WORTH SPENDING A FEW DAYS THERE!

Until 1842, Cook, Flinders and Oxley had only charted the coastline and little was known about the Wide Bay Region where Maryborough is located. That year, Andrew Petrie and a party explored the Wide Bay River with their Convict guides.

Perhaps we were a little like them, as we usually don't spend much time in Maryborough because we are heading else-where. This year, we stopped and helped the economy, as Maryborough was still trying to get on its feet again after two disastrous floods at the beginning of 2013.

Maryborough was first settled in 1847 by Europeans and is one of Queensland's oldest cities.

Maryborough was a very busy port in the early years, receiving not only goods, but a lot of immigrant's wishing to make Australia their home. The Ship, "The Silver Eagle," took 3 months to sail from England, arriving in May 1880 and carrying 264 immigrants.

THE WORLD'S GREATEST PUBFEST IS HELD AT MARYBOROUGH

Maryborough has many majestic heritage listed buildings and homes, some dating back to the 1800s.

If your ever in the area, make sure you take the time to stop and have a look around Maryborough. The building's are historic, the parks are well maintained, there are Museum's and markets and a Mary Poppin's Festival.
I will cover all this in my reviews.

Maryborough was our first stop on a 10 day break, to give us a rest from the hard work we had been doing at home. You can follow our little tour by clicking on the links at the bottom of each page. I hope you enjoy the tour.

As you most probably guessed, I had a wonderful time in Maryborough. There was so much to see and do! Now we are travelling a short distance to HERVEY BAY, a very popular laid back sea-side town. You catch a ferry to Fraser Island from here. Fraser Island is the biggest sand Island in the world.

• Pros:Lots of historic buildings and nice Riverside.
  • Cons:Floods from the Mary River
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful City to spend a few day's!
  • Last visit to Maryborough: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM

The museums, sculptures, parks, churches and historical buildings are absolutely gorgeous. Another excellent page Dee!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM

So much to see in a small town love the fact there are stilk nice local shops, also how lucky for only 8 people to die from the plague its hardly fair to call it a plague ;)

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I continued my visit of Maryborough.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Sep 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Thankyou! I really appreciate you reading my Australian pages.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Being an amateur of maritime history I'm pleased through your reviews to follow a great navigator like Cook.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Sounds to be nice things to do in the city, like walking along the river, do barbaque in the park and cycle. Will come back to see more.

• melandaz's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Caravan park sounds nice, have to stop there on our next travel. Will have to take the kids to the store museum, so they can see how different the local shop is to now days!!!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Maryborough

Have you been to Maryborough?