"MARYBOROUGH & MARY POPPINS!" Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough by balhannah
Maryborough Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 368 photos
MARYBOROUGH IS A CITY THAT IS USUALLY OVERLOOKED BY TOURISTS. MOST ARE EAGER TO REACH HERVEY BAY AND JUST PASS THROUGH.
AFTER READING MY PAGES, I THINK YOU WILL AGREE - MARYBOROUGH HAS LOTS TO OFFER AND IS WELL WORTH SPENDING A FEW DAYS THERE!
Until 1842, Cook, Flinders and Oxley had only charted the coastline and little was known about the Wide Bay Region where Maryborough is located. That year, Andrew Petrie and a party explored the Wide Bay River with their Convict guides.
Perhaps we were a little like them, as we usually don't spend much time in Maryborough because we are heading else-where. This year, we stopped and helped the economy, as Maryborough was still trying to get on its feet again after two disastrous floods at the beginning of 2013.
Maryborough was first settled in 1847 by Europeans and is one of Queensland's oldest cities.
Maryborough was a very busy port in the early years, receiving not only goods, but a lot of immigrant's wishing to make Australia their home. The Ship, "The Silver Eagle," took 3 months to sail from England, arriving in May 1880 and carrying 264 immigrants.
THE WORLD'S GREATEST PUBFEST IS HELD AT MARYBOROUGH
Maryborough has many majestic heritage listed buildings and homes, some dating back to the 1800s.
If your ever in the area, make sure you take the time to stop and have a look around Maryborough. The building's are historic, the parks are well maintained, there are Museum's and markets and a Mary Poppin's Festival.
I will cover all this in my reviews.
Maryborough was our first stop on a 10 day break, to give us a rest from the hard work we had been doing at home. You can follow our little tour by clicking on the links at the bottom of each page. I hope you enjoy the tour.
As you most probably guessed, I had a wonderful time in Maryborough. There was so much to see and do! Now we are travelling a short distance to HERVEY BAY, a very popular laid back sea-side town. You catch a ferry to Fraser Island from here. Fraser Island is the biggest sand Island in the world.
- Pros:Lots of historic buildings and nice Riverside.
- Cons:Floods from the Mary River
- In a nutshell:A wonderful City to spend a few day's!
If your from the city, then you may like to sit somewhere quiet, chill out and listen to the Birds. Each morning, I went... more travel advice
Whether your from Overseas or from Australia and visiting Maryborough, there is a good chance that you will not know the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Maryborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MARYBOROUGH & MARY POPPINS!"
- "Maryborough's grand old Queenslanders"
- "Sweetberry's Maryborough Page"
- "A Two Year Sojourn"
- "The Heritage Town"
- "Half way Between"
- "Passin' Thru Maryborough"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryborough
- Hotels in Maryborough
- Transportation in Maryborough
- Nightlife in Maryborough
- Restaurants in Maryborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Maryborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maryborough
- 83 Reviews
- 287 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Maryborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryborough
- Posted in Travel Bodrum Forum "Re: bus from bodrum town to..."
- updated a Maryborough Travel Page "MARYBOROUGH & MARY POPPINS!"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Maryborough travel pages
- Wrote a Review LISTEN TO THE CHIT-CHAT OF THE BIRDS! in Maryborough Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "MARYBOROUGH & MARY POPPINS!"
Photos in MaryboroughSee All Photos (287)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue