"McLAREN VALE" McLaren Vale by balhannah
McLaren Vale Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 52 photos
McLaren Vale is just 40 minutes via the Southern Expressway from Adelaide.
After travelling 35 kms from the city, you will arrive in McLaren Vale, a town set in a picturesque region of orchards, pastures, settlers cottages by tall gum trees, olive and almond groves, rows of spreading vineyards, and a spectacular coastline just minutes away.
Well known names such as John Reynell and Thomas Hardy will be seen here.
For those who love Wine, over 60 Wineries are close by, plenty of tastings to be done at the award winning Wineries.
At one time McLaren Vale was the almond growing capital of Australia.
They soon discovered the rich soils were prime vineyard land and produced wines of exceptional quality.
Many growers switched to vines, almond groves still exist in the region today, mostly in Willunga.
McLaren Vale is renowned for its award winning wines and over 60 wineries, olives and olive oil, restaurants, gourmet foods, cafes, galleries, nurseries.
There is a dispute whether McLaren Vale was named after David McLaren, the Colonial Manager of the South Australia Company, who arrived in the colony in 1837 and departed three years later, or after Scotsman, John McLaren, who surveyed the area in 1839.
Before either of them came along the local Aborigines called the area Myallina Dooronga.
Until the 1920's, McLaren Vale was applied to the region more than to the particular town.
This is an area which has always been about grape growing. As early as 1850 the historic Hardy and Seaview wineries were in operation, and it's widely accepted that Thomas Hardy's purchase of the Tintara vineyard in 1853 is the symbolic beginning of the town.
Many buildings from these early days can still be found in and around the area.
McLaren Vale is now a busy town with about 2000 residents and makes an ideal base when exploring the McLaren Vale Wine Region and other attractions in the Fleurieu Peninsula.
This concludes Day trip 5..
We now head back to ADELAIDE along Main road at McLaren Vale which joins Victor Harbor road and then the Main South Road, that takes us back to Adelaide.
Did you enjoy this day? It has been a day of variety.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful area worth spending some time in.
What a gorgeous restored Chapel it was! Chapel Hill winery takes its name from the historic ironstone chapel built on... more travel advice
Tourist Route 60, is a MUST DO if you have a car. Begin either end as it is a circle starting from McLaren Vale main... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
McLaren Vale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Barossa's other cousin"
- "McLAREN VALE"
- "Heaven in a bottle"
- "McLaren Vale - South Australia Wine Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McLaren Vale
- Restaurants in McLaren Vale
- Warnings and Dangers in McLaren Vale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in McLaren Vale
- 11 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (478)
Have you been to McLaren Vale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McLaren Vale
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Road Trip: Sydney to Brisbane "
- Commented on one of balhannah's McLaren Vale travel pages
- updated a McLaren Vale Travel Page "McLAREN VALE"
- Wrote a Review CHAPEL HILL WINERY CHAPEL in McLaren Vale Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "CHAPEL HILL WINERY CHAPEL"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues