"MERINO!" Merino by balhannah
Merino Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
A FEW FACTS ABOUT MERINO
Merino was established in 1837, when Francis Henty, brother of Victoria's first permanent settler Edward Henty, established Merino Downs station.
It became a bustling town, with four pubs and a butterfat exporter, selling directly and exclusively to the UK.
As rural populations dropped, Merino started to decline, and now has only 200 people as its population
Are you still with me on my 11,500km road trip of southern Australia. I hope so, as we still have some great places to see.
Our next stop is at the pretty, rural town of CASTERTON, in Victoria.
- In a nutshell:A step back in time!
Only 200 residents, does that qualify for a Ghost Town, I am not sure! Merino is a good place to visit if you like... more travel advice
We actually drove past this sculpture as we entered Merino. Turning around, we came back to have a look, and found it... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Merino Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Merino
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Merino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Merino
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 83 reviews, 268 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue