"MINLATON - BARLEY CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" Minlaton by balhannah
Minlaton Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
Minlaton, located 197 km west of Adelaide, is a service centre on Yorke Peninsula.
The town and area was settled in the 1870s by farmers who found the conditions ideal for the growing wheat and barley and the grazing of sheep.
Not surprisingly, Minlaton is known as the "Barley capital of the world"
It is also home of the Red Devil, the name of the aeroplane Harry Butler flew. He was a flying ace in World War 1.
Like many towns, Minlaton was originally named something different, here it was Gum Flat, because it is the only area of the southern Yorke Peninsula where red gums grow naturally.
This name was changed to Minlaton which in Aboriginal is 'minlacowrie' meaning 'sweet water'.
From Minlaton, we will continue to head north towards the top of the peninsula, stopping at PORT VICTORIA along the way.
- In a nutshell:Interesting small town
This Post Office built in 1910, is a beautiful historic building in Minlatons main street. It's still the same as it was... more travel advice
The Minlaton Museum is located in the main street, in part of an old General Store built about 1889. I was interested... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Minlaton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Minlaton
- 11 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (488)
Have you been to Minlaton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minlaton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues