"HISTORIC MINTARO" Mintaro by balhannah
Mintaro Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 41 photos
MINTARO IS A SUPERBLY PRESERVED HISTORIC TOWN.
Located 126 km from Adelaide, you can come here for a day or perhaps stay the weekend.
Land at "Mintara" was advertised for sale in 1849, and in 1854, the town site was laid out.
It is believed the name "Mintara" may have been an Aboriginal word 'mintadloo' or 'Minta - Ngadlu' meaning 'netted water."
Others say it derives from a Spanish word meaning 'camp or resting place," based on the fact that the Burra Mining Company imported Spanish-speaking mule drivers from Uruguay to transport copper from Burra to Port Wakefield.
Approx 100 Spanish mule drivers passed through town each day.
At some time, the name changed from Mintara to Mintaro.
At the same time there were dozens of bullock drivers (mostly Irish) bringing copper to Port Wakefield through the town.
The mules were obviously faster, as the bullocks were only capable of doing 9 miles (14.5 km) a day. On our drive, we found these old towns located at 9 mile intervals along the route.
The route was Burra to Hanson, Hanson to Farrell Flat, then Farrell Flat to Mintaro.
These were the evening watering holes for the bullock drivers who took the copper ingots to Port Wakefield and then brought coal back to fuel the smelters at Burra.
The town's economy collapsed when the copper from Burra was moved by railway.
The whole town is classified as a 'State Heritage Area'
Did you enjoy Mintaro, I did!
Now we are going to another interesting historical town BURRA
Please come with me, I think you will like Burra.
- Pros:Gorgeous buildings, gorgeous town!
- In a nutshell:A must do is to walk the small Town.
We are now in Hill street, and here I find some lovely old homes, and a cute small Pay Office Cottage. These two... more travel advice
On my walk, I came across three attached buildings. This is where the Carpenter lived and worked. His house and shop... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Mintaro Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Mintaro
- 15 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Mintaro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mintaro
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue