"LITTLE CORNWALL - MOONTA" Moonta by balhannah
Moonta Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 105 photos
MOONTA - Cornish copper mining history and heritage.
MOONTA, is one of three towns known as the Copper Coast or "Little Cornwall" for their shared copper mining history. The other two are Kadina, site of the famous Wallaroo Mines, and Wallaroo.
Moonta is a lot bigger town with a population about 3,500 people .
It is thought that the name "Moonta" is derived from Moontera, an (Indigenous) Narungga word meaning 'impenetrable scrub.'
Large and rich deposits of copper were discovered at Moonta in 1861 by shepherds from Walter Watson Hughes' sheep farm. This became a prosperous mine, named Wheal Hughes, with other mines soon to follow.
The town was laid out in 1863 and a horse drawn tramway to Wallaroo was established in 1863. Following advertising by the South Australian Government, Cornish miners arrived in Moonta soon afterward.
The primary copper mining operations ceased in 1923, but smaller-scale operations recommenced in the area in the 1990s, and ended 2 years later.
Moonta is surrounded by farms growing barley, wheat and other crops such as legumes, canola, chickpeas and field peas.
Barley from the region is considered to be some of the best in the world.
A 3day festival known as the Kernewek Lowender Cornish festival is held every odd year in May in the Copper Coast towns, where each of the three towns hosts the festival for one day.
Moonta was excellent! Plenty to see, and good accommodation at our seafront caravan park, I really could have stayed much longer, but couldn't, so time to move onto the other Copper Triangle city of WALLAROO
- In a nutshell:Moonta has everything for an enjoyable holiday!
This idea I really like, especially in a historic town like Moonta. As I walked along George street, which happens to... more travel advice
What a wonderful position this caravan park was in, right beside the seaside! The caravan park has two tiers, it was... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Moonta Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Moonta
- Hotels in Moonta
- Restaurants in Moonta
- Shopping in Moonta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moonta
- 32 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Moonta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moonta
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 127 reviews, 434 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues