"MOUNT BARKER" Mount Barker by balhannah
Mount Barker Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 40 photos
Mt. Barker is a go ahead town, situated just 30 minutes from Adelaide and
5 minutes from the historic German town of Hahndorf.
Mt. Barker is one of the fastest growing areas in South Australia, probably because it is very easy and quick to drive to Adelaide. People commute daily for work.
Mount Barker lies at the base of a local mountain of the same name.
It is traditionally a farming area, although these days, I could see a lot of vineyards.
The Mount Barker Summit was first discovered by Captain Collet Barker in 1830, but he was killed by Aborigines in 1831, so Captain Charles Sturt founded it in 1834, he named Mount Barker after him.
During the last 10 years, many new subdivisions have been developed, and there has also been an economic boom in Mount Barker and a number of additional malls and shopping centres have been built and now open for business.
We are staying at Mt. Barker for 8nights - 7days.
From Mt.Barker, take a drive to the German town of HAHNDORF, and enjoy a walk along both sides of the main street.
DAY TRIP 1.......Returns to ADELAIDE
After spending a wonderful week here, we are now going to KANGAROO ISLAND for a few days.
We will go via STRATHALBYN, where we will leave our Caravan, as we have booked a Cottage on the Island.
- Pros:Nice country town, close to Adelaide
- Cons:Weather can be cold and miserable
- In a nutshell:Good base for visiting Adelaide and surrounds
A visit to the Mount Barker summit is more than just views. The vegetation is what is found in this area. I saw big... more travel advice
The Mount Barker summit was where the Ngarrindjeri Aboriginal people came for their ceremonial and burial sites.It is... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Mount Barker Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Mount Barker
- 13 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to Mount Barker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Barker
Photos in Mount BarkerSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue