"MOUNT TORRENS" Mount Torrens by balhannah
Mount Torrens Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 13 photos
Mount Torrens is located 46kms from Adelaide and 8 km from Lobethal along the Onkaparinga River. Less than 500 people live here.
The town (and nearby hill) was named after Colonel Robert Torrens, one of South Australia's founding fathers, apparently in the mistaken belief that the Angas Creek which flows down the hill was the source of the Torrens River.
The town was known as Barton Springs, and here was a farmhouse, smithy, stables and the Cornish Arms Inn.
The town proper was laid out in 1853, and it served the Murray River trade at Mannum as well as a nearby copper mine.
A small gold deposit was discovered in 1870, but by World War I, the town's importance had diminished, and the town that stands today is virtually unchanged since that time.
Even though Mt. Torrens hasn't grown or altered much, I still went for a walk as there are lots of very old buildings located in the main street.
Our next stop on our scenic drive from Adelaide is BIRDWOOD.
- In a nutshell:Worth a walk to see the historic buildings
Townsend House was another favorite of mine. It certainly makes a difference, when these historical homes are cared for,... more travel advice
This is the original house and shop that was built in 1860. William Sumner opened the Bakery in 1903. In 1929, additions... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Mount Torrens Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Mount Torrens
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Mount Torrens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Torrens
Photos in Mount TorrensSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues