"MURRAY BRIDGE" Murray Bridge by balhannah
Murray Bridge Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 29 photos
Murray Bridge, with a population of approx 20,000 people, is the largest town on the River Murray in South Australia.
Only 1 hour from Adelaide, its a nice trip to make to have a picnic at the Sturt Reserve, enjoy some fishing, swimming or water skiing, or have a ride on Paddle steamer CAPTAIN PROUD, which runs regular cruises.
It has a large shopping centre, accommodation, restaurants, hotels and sporting facilities.
If you like walking, there is a 5km Rail and River Walk, which takes in the town's major historic sights, or you can follow the scenic drive by Car.
Monarto Zoo is a MUST SEE.
It's located at Monarto which is before reaching Murray Bridge
Before European settlement, the area was inhabited by the Ngarrindjeri Aborigines, who lived well off a diet of kangaroos, emus, wombats, goannas, lizards, ducks, turtles, fish, snakes and bird eggs.
Captain Charles Sturt was the first European Explorerer in the area. He had been sent here to solve the great mystery of why so many rivers flowed westward from the Great Dividing Range (often known as the question of whether Australia had an 'inland sea')
Rowing a whale boat down the Murrumbidgee River in late 1829, he reached the junction with the Murray River on 14 January 1830.
The original township was laid out in 1883 and was called Mobilong.
The land was sold in Adelaide in 1884 under the advertisement
"Murray traders, woolwashers, builders and all men of enterprise. Give heed to what is now offered to you."
Later it was called Edwards Crossing but it became Murray Bridge when a new railway bridge was constructed across the river in 1924.
The city's most recent Swanport Bridge, which was built 5 kms downstream from Murray Bridge and was completed in 1979.
Murray Bridge has two sister cities, according to the Australian Sister Cities Association.
Laredo, Texas, United States of America and Sanmenxia, China
- Pros:Lovely Sturt Park by the River Murray
- In a nutshell:Make sure you see Monarto Zoo!
Sturt Reserve.. So nice, I suggest you come down here when in Murray Bridge. I have enjoyed many picnics here, and... more travel advice
I am not sure if other Zoo's in the World do this or not, but here in Australia, you can adopt an animal. What this... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Murray Bridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than just a bridge"
- "MURRAY BRIDGE"
- "The Bridge over the Murray River"
- "A peaceful place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Murray Bridge
- Restaurants in Murray Bridge
- Shopping in Murray Bridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Murray Bridge
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (583)
Have you been to Murray Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Murray Bridge
Photos in Murray BridgeSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 254 reviews, 744 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues