"SPORTIEST TOWN IN AUSTRALIA" Narrabri by balhannah
Narrabri Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 132 photos
Narrabri is one of the larger towns located in the prosperous, agricultural district of the rich Namoi Valley in north western NSW.
Narrabri, is often used as a stop-over point when travelling the
Newell & kamilaroi Highways, as it's six hours to both Sydney and Brisbane.
The Narrabri area is a popular tourist centre because of its proximity to the
Mount Kaputar National Park, the CSIRO Australia Telescope, Yarrie Lake, and other rural attractions of the district.
This time, instead of passing through, we thought it was time to stop and explore the Mount Kaputar National Park, something we had been meaning to do for a long time.
MT. KAPUTAR NATIONAL PARK
Mt Kaputar National Park is more rugged than we ever thought.
It towers high above the surrounding Western Plains, a Mountain area that was formed by a series of volcanic eruptions that moved across this area between 17 and 21 million years ago.
Millions of years of erosion have carved this volcanic area, with its dramatic
landscape of lava terraces, volcanic plugs and ring dykes.
Mt Kaputar, reaches a height of 1510m.
There are superb views from the summit, as well as from many other lookouts in the park.
The park is also home to many animals, including bats, birds, wallabies, quolls and a unique large pink slug, which often appears after rain.
Try and make time to pay it a visit, you will not be disappointed!
Still with me on 2012 Southern Australia Journey?
Here we are at Narrabri, a town we have often been to, walked, driven and explored many times before.
This time, we just stopped for a meal, but I do hope you will take the time to explore the town and surroundings before we head onto COONABARABRAN. and the WARRUNBUNGLE'S NATIONAL PARK
- Pros:Stay, and explore the surroundings
- Cons:Can get hot!
- In a nutshell:Stunning scenery at Mount Kaputar National Park
Hot off the press is this tip, as the Sporting Wall of Fame columns with the names of all the athletes that have come... more travel advice
The Strand Theatre ia no longer is in use. The 1st "Strand" was destroyed by fire in 1915, which meant a new Theatre had... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Narrabri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SPORTIEST TOWN IN AUSTRALIA"
- "A view to somewhere"
- "On the Newell Highway"
- "Narrabri in Cotton Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Narrabri
- Hotels in Narrabri
- Restaurants in Narrabri
- Warnings and Dangers in Narrabri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Narrabri
- 30 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Narrabri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Narrabri
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue