"NO ORANGES IN ORANGE!" Orange by balhannah
Orange Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
Orange, [population 39,000], and immediately you think of Orange Orchards.
As you drive along, you see plenty of Orchards, but none of these are
Oranges, they are Apple Orchards, and very pretty when in blossom in spring.
A lot of these are located around the base of an extinct volcano, [Mt. Conobolas]....................
a mountain that is worth the drive up the top for the scenic views and bushwalks.
The feritile volcanic soil means wheat and barley, and more recently fruit
orchards, including olives, apples, grapes and berries are grown in the area.
Local produce can be bought from roadside stalls when in season, nice & fresh!
Vineyards, a lot of these in the area, and a lot of Cellar Doors also, so
many that they have a "Wine Week."
Autumn is the time to see the vineyards in their glorious "hot" colours,
and of course, all the beautiful tree lined streets in the splendours of Autumn Colour.
Prior to European settlement, the Wiradjuri Aborigines language lived in
the Orange area.
It became known as Blackmans Swamp in the early 1800s, but was
renamed Orange and proclaimed a village in 1846. In 1851 business
began to boom with the discovery of Australia's first "payable" gold at nearby Ophir.
You can follow a City Heritage Trail, a self-guided walk, which takes in more than 40 places of historical interest.
Pick it up at the Tourist Information Centre.
Wander around the mines at Ophir and try your luck panning for gold at Ophir Reserve. Pans can be hired.
ORANGE was the birthplace of one of Australia's most famous Poets ............
and you can visit the site of his birthplace
Banjo Paterson Park features an obelisk that was unveiled in the presence of the poet's widow in 1947.
Festivals and events are held thoughout the year, so there is something for every one when visiting Orange.
Orange is located 280 km west of Sydney, and is a nice town to get away to from the hustle & bustle of Sydney.
Orange gets cold in Winter!
- In a nutshell:Don't expect to find Oranges!
Another good information. Pop in here 1st and pick up your self drive or walk heritage map so you can have a good look... more travel advice
Below Mt Canobolas is Lake Canobolas, a well established artificial lake established in 1918 to supply water to... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Orange Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NO ORANGES IN ORANGE!"
- "Orange... not over the Rainbow, just the Blue Mtns"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Thomas
- La Playa de Arguineguín
- Lebowakgomo Hotels
- Königsdorf Hotels
- Banfu Hotels
- South Carolina
- Isla de Fuerteventura
- Harristown Hotels
- Wallenstadt Hotels
- Areguá Hotels
- Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie
Badges & Stats in Orange
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Orange?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orange
Photos in OrangeSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (232)
Latest Orange hotel reviews
- Town Square Motel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013