"CONVICT SETTLEMENT" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur by balhannah
Port Arthur Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 166 photos
Probably some of you didn't know that Port Arthur is a small town!
Port Arthur, Tasmania was once a home to over 12,500 convicts and
provided the severest form of punishment for difficult prisoners in England
and Australia between 1830 and 1853.
Port Arthur had some of the strictest security measures of the British penal
system AND convicts had no wish to end up in this prison!
Punishment at Port Arthur came in many forms.
There was physical punishment........
psychological punishment. .........
Hard corporal punishment, such as whippings.........
Silent System" ........ prisoners were hooded and made to stay silent, this
was supposed to allow time for the prisoner to reflect upon the actions
which had brought him there.
It is hard to imagine that by the 1850s Port Arthur was a remarkably self-
sufficient settlement and that the convicts were involved in industries as
ship building, growing vegetables, making shoes and boots, manufacturing
clothing, making bricks and cutting and processing timber. It is easy to
forget that this was one of the largest convict colonies in Australia and
that, as such, it provided all the facilities of a large village.
Another event, that we all wish never happened was when......
In 1996 it was the scene of the worst mass murder event in post-colonial
It is a wonderful "open air museum " and is Tasmania's top tourist attraction.
It is located approximately 60 km south east of Hobart.
The scenic drive from Hobart, via the Tasman Highway to Sorell and the
Arthur Highway to Port Arthur, takes around 90 minutes and covers
approximately 96 km.
Transport from Hobart to the site is also available via bus or ferry, and
various companies offer day tours from Hobart.
I have seen Port Arthur all ruins, many, many years ago, and I must say
that I really enjoyed seeing it this way.
Sometimes, in my opinion, it was nicer in ruins than being restored.
Well, now I have seen it in the restored form as well, it still is nice and
interesting, and I consider myself priveliged to have seen it "before"
A MUST VISIT!
- Pros:5* Open Air Museum - A must visit!
- In a nutshell:Do you want to go back in time? I don't think so!
Buckland is a small town located quite close to Port Arthur. St John the Baptist Church is a stopping off point because... more travel advice
More 'modern' than the Hospital, the Asylum was capable of housing 100 mentally ill patients at a time. Built to a... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Arthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CONVICT SETTLEMENT"
- "Get a sense of the history"
- "More than Just a Jail!"
- "Port Arthur - Convict's Retreat"
- "Port Arthur Gateway to Freedom"
- "Port Arthur"
- "PORT ARTHUR- BE SURPRISED!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Arthur
- Hotels in Port Arthur
- Transportation in Port Arthur
- Restaurants in Port Arthur
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Arthur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Arthur
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (470)
Have you been to Port Arthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Arthur
Photos in Port ArthurSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues