"CONVICT SETTLEMENT" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur by balhannah
Port Arthur Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 166 photos
Probably some of you didn't know that Port Arthur is a small town!
Port Arthur - Tasmania was once a home to over 12,500 convicts and provided the severest form of punishment for difficult prisoners in Australia between 1830 and 1853.
Port Arthur had some of the strictest security measures of the British penal system AND convicts had no wish to end up in this prison!
Punishment at Port Arthur came in many forms.
There was physical punishment........
psychological punishment. .........
Hard corporal punishment, such as whippings.........
Silent System" ........ prisoners were hooded and made to stay silent, this was supposed to allow time for the prisoner to reflect upon the actions which had brought him there.
It is hard to imagine that by the 1850s Port Arthur was a remarkably self-sufficient settlement and that the convicts were involved in industries as ship building, growing vegetables, making shoes and boots, manufacturing clothing, making bricks and cutting and processing timber. It is easy to forget that this was one of the largest convict colonies in Australia and that, as such, it provided all the facilities of a large village.
Another event, that we all wish never happened in 1996.
IT WAS THE SCENE OF THE WORST MASS MURDER IN POST-COLONIAL HISTORY.
It is a wonderful "open air museum " and is Tasmania's top tourist attraction.
Located approximately 60 km south east of Hobart and easy to reach by car or on a tour.
The scenic drive from Hobart, via the Tasman Highway to Sorell and the Arthur Highway to Port Arthur, takes around 90 minutes and covers approx. 96 km.
Transport from Hobart to the site is also available via bus or ferry, and various companies offer day tours from Hobart.
I have seen Port Arthur when it was all ruins many years ago. I must say I really enjoyed seeing it this way.
Sometimes, in my opinion, it is nicer in ruins than being restored.
Well, now I have seen it in the restored form as well, it still is nice and interesting, and I consider myself priveliged to have seen it "before" and "after!"
A MUST VISIT!
- Pros:5* Open Air Museum - A must visit!
- In a nutshell:Do you want to go back in time? I don't think so!
Buckland is a small town located quite close to Port Arthur. St John the Baptist Church is a stopping off point because... more travel advice
More 'modern' than the Hospital, the Asylum was capable of housing 100 mentally ill patients at a time. Built to a... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Arthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CONVICT SETTLEMENT"
- "Get a sense of the history"
- "More than Just a Jail!"
- "Port Arthur - Convict's Retreat"
- "Port Arthur Gateway to Freedom"
- "Port Arthur"
- "PORT ARTHUR- BE SURPRISED!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Arthur
- Hotels in Port Arthur
- Transportation in Port Arthur
- Restaurants in Port Arthur
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Arthur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Arthur
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (537)
Have you been to Port Arthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Arthur
Photos in Port ArthurSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 169 reviews, 325 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues