"THE LONG JETTY @ PORT GERMEIN" Port Germein by balhannah
Port Germein Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 11 photos
Port Germein is a small sea-side town situated beside Spencer Gulf.
The town was named after either Captain John Germein or his brother Samuel Germein and was proclaimed in 1878.
Port Germein's population is less than 300 people.
When the jetty opened in 1881, it was known as the longest jetty in the Southern Hemisphere.
Due to the shallow water along the coast, the long jetty was built to allow sailing ships to be loaded with grain from surrounding districts.
It is popular for fishing and families in school holiday time.
We will now travel approx 27kms to the industrial town of PORT PIRIE.
- In a nutshell:Small seaside town
An anchor and plough in the main street, what for I wondered? It was put here for the 100 year anniversary '1878-1978',... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Germein Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Port Germein
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to Port Germein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Germein
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue