"THE LONG JETTY @ PORT GERMEIN" Port Germein by balhannah
Port Germein Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 11 photos
1st VT page on Port Germein
Port Germein is a small sea-side town situated beside Spencer Gulf.
The town was named after either Captain John Germein or his brother Samuel Germein and was proclaimed in 1878.
Port Germein's population is less than 300 people.
When the jetty opened in 1881, it was known as the longest jetty in the Southern Hemisphere.
Due to the shallow water along the coast, the long jetty was built to allow sailing ships to be loaded with grain from surrounding districts.
It is popular for fishing and families in school holiday time.
We will now travel approx 27kms to the industrial town of PORT PIRIE.
- In a nutshell:Small seaside town
An anchor and plough in the main street, what for I wondered? It was put here for the 100 year anniversary... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Germein Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Port Germein
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (586)
Have you been to Port Germein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Germein
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues