"PORT LINCOLN - SEAFOOD CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA" Port Lincoln by balhannah
Port Lincoln Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 225 photos
Port Lincoln is a major commercial centre for the Eyre Peninsula and a popular destination for tourists.
The small City is situated overlooking Boston Bay, and makes a great base to go exploring nearby sights.
Boston Bay happens to be 3.5 times the size of Sydney Harbour, so it's big!
Port Lincoln is a very important grain and fishing port.
Port Lincoln is located 656 km west of Adelaide and has a population of about 14,000 people.
The climate is typically Mediterranean climate
It currently has Australia's largest commercial fishing fleet and fish farming has become so important that Port Lincoln now has kingfish farms, mussel farms, oyster farms, experimental lobster farms and abalone farms.
Most of the Anglers, mainly Italian, are very, very wealthy men. The money which can be made from tuna fishing is huge.
The Japanese have paid over $40,000 a tonne for specially prepared tuna for sashimi and this has resulted in many of the tuna fishermen becoming multimillionaires.
One of the most famous local tuna-fishing success stories is that of Dean Lukin who, in 1984, with the assistance of an Eastern European and USSR boycott of the Los Angeles Games, won Australia's first weightlifting gold medal at an Olympic Games.
For adventure lovers, you can swim with the Tuna and the Sharks.
From Port Lincoln, we did a day trip to COFFIN BAY and the National park, this was excellent.
Well, time is up and we have to continue moving on our 11,500km journey, so now we will start heading back up Eyre Peninsula, stopping at the beaut small coastal town of TUMBY BAY
- In a nutshell:Nice small city to stay a few days
We drove our car to Cape Donington first, this is where a lighthouse is located and lighthouse keeper's cottages are... more travel advice
I classify this as a tourist trap as unless you have a 4WD vehicle, there probably are only a couple of roads we could... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Lincoln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT LINCOLN - SEAFOOD CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA"
- "Port Lincoln"
- "PORT LINCOLN"
- "Pt Lincoln:home of Aust's most feted sports star"
- "Escape and Relax by the sea"
- "Working Port and Town but Fascinating"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Lincoln
- Hotels in Port Lincoln
- Restaurants in Port Lincoln
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Lincoln
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Lincoln
- 31 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (476)
Have you been to Port Lincoln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Lincoln
- Posted in Travel England Forum "Re: Itinerary suggestions for a..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Port Lincoln tips
- updated a Port Lincoln Travel Page "PORT LINCOLN - SEAFOOD CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA"
- Wrote a Review LINCOLN NATIONAL PARK - WILDLIFE in Port Lincoln Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "LINCOLN NATIONAL PARK - WILDLIFE"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues