"PORT PIRIE - THE CITY OF FRIENDLY PEOPLE" Port Pirie by balhannah
Port Pirie Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 30 photos
Port Pirie, located 229km north of Adelaide, is quite a large industrial city.
Its economy is driven by the huge silver, lead and zinc smelters which process the raw ore brought from Broken Hill.
The large port provides transportation for both the metal and rural industries which dominate the town.
Our first sight was of the smelters and the smoke coming from them, next the grain silos and lastly the busy city centre.
On the second Sunday in September the statue of Madonna Dei Martiri is carried to the local wharves by members of the Italian community and the town's fishing fleet is blessed.
Port Pirie really grew when the smelting works opened in 1889. By 1934 it was the largest single-unit lead-smelting works in the world.
Today it is South Australia's second largest port.
I can't say I ever liked Port Pirie on our many visits before today.
Today, was a surpise, for the city had cleaned up its act, the streets were clean and the old buildings were mostly painted and looking good. Tourism had become more important, and it showed. It was quite a surpise!
We are staying at Port Pirie for 2 nights, so on one of the days, we are doing a round trip to MELROSE and some other towns.
Please join me as my virtual companion.
- In a nutshell:More there than what I thought!
Port Broughton is a small seaside town located about 58kms from Port Pirie. About 1,000 people live here, and in holiday... more travel advice
There are lots of Hotels in Port Pirie, but one that really caught my attention was the Federal Hotel that opened for... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Pirie Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Port Pirie
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (271)
Have you been to Port Pirie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Pirie
Photos in Port PirieSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 740 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues