"PORT PIRIE - THE CITY OF FRIENDLY PEOPLE" Port Pirie by balhannah

Port Pirie Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 30 photos

Port Pirie, located 229km north of Adelaide, is quite a large industrial city.

Its economy is driven by the huge silver, lead and zinc smelters which process the raw ore brought from Broken Hill.

The large port provides transportation for both the metal and rural industries which dominate the town.

Our first sight was of the smelters and the smoke coming from them, next the grain silos and lastly the busy city centre.

On the second Sunday in September the statue of Madonna Dei Martiri is carried to the local wharves by members of the Italian community and the town's fishing fleet is blessed.

Port Pirie really grew when the smelting works opened in 1889. By 1934 it was the largest single-unit lead-smelting works in the world.

Today it is South Australia's second largest port.

I can't say I ever liked Port Pirie on our many visits before today.

Today, was a surpise, for the city had cleaned up its act, the streets were clean and the old buildings were mostly painted and looking good. Tourism had become more important, and it showed. It was quite a surpise!

We are staying at Port Pirie for 2 nights, so on one of the days, we are doing a round trip to MELROSE and some other towns.
Please join me as my virtual companion.

• In a nutshell:More there than what I thought!
  • Last visit to Port Pirie: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2014

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM

What a lovely town with so many beautiful houses and the church with the mission to seafarers :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      May 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM

It is lovely. Lots of beautiful old homes with lacework in some areas. We stayed in our caravan in my cousins yard. Had a great time there!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Port Pirie

Have you been to Port Pirie?

Latest Activity in Port Pirie