"PORT VICTORIA - LAST OF THE WINDJAMMER PORTS!" Port Victoria by balhannah
Port Victoria Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 31 photos
Located 192 kilometres from Adelaide, Port Victoria has quite an interesting sea history.
Eight shipwrecks are out in the waters somewhere.
Standing on the jetty, gazing out to sea, I was thinking how nice it would be to see a re-enactment of the olden days, when ships of all sizes from the massive Windjammers, Schooners, Baroques, Ketches and Steamships sailed into Port Victoria.
What a sight that would be!
Port Victoria soon became a major grain port, exporting as far away as England.
Ships were anchored in the harbour and loaded by a smaller craft, sometimes taking up to six weeks to fill one vessel.
At one point during the Second World War, 50,000 bags of grain were stored.
Commercial fishing is still an important industry, with recreational fishing from jetties, beaches and boats being a huge attraction to the area.
It was 1802, when Captain Matthew Flinders mistook Wardang Island for part of the mainland and named the area Point Pearce.
Later, in 1839, the area was surveyed by Robert Cook and James Hughes in a schooner called ”Victoria," then they realised the mainland was separated, and this was an island. They named the bay “Victoria Harbour” in 1839, after their boat.
In 1876 the town was initially proclaimed as ”Wauraltee”, however the local residents always called it Port Victoria, so its name was changed in 1940.
We are now travelling by car to the top part of Yorke Peninsula, to a town know as "Little Cornwall."
This is MOONTA A very historic town with lots to see and do!
- Pros:Divers would like it here!
- In a nutshell:Nice seaside town on Yorke Peninsula
In this area of Yorke Peninsual, I saw many farm houses that were still in good shape, but had been abandoned. It was so... more travel advice
Located about 24kms from Port Victoria, is the inland town of Maitland. I was a little disappointed with the town, but I... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Port Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT VICTORIA - LAST OF THE WINDJAMMER PORTS!"
- Create a Port Victoria Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Port Victoria
- 14 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Port Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Victoria
Photos in Port VictoriaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue