"RICHMOND- On the Convict Trail" Richmond by balhannah
Richmond Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 60 photos
Richmond was proclaimed a town by Lieutenant Governor Sorell in 1824.
The village was once a key military post and convict station, strategically
located between Hobart and the infamous Port Arthur penal settlement
and actually predates Port Arthur.
I found Richmond a wonderful place to wander around, so many historic
old buildings, and many Galleries, plenty of interest here!
It is home to Australia’s oldest bridge, and has more than
fifty 19th- century Georgian buildings, many now are bed & Breakfasts,
offering high-quality accommodation.
You can walk across Australia’s oldest bridge, built by convict labour
between 1823 and 1825.
Another must is a visit to the Richmond Gaol (1825), Australia’s oldest jail,
what a terrible time you had if you landed in here!
Inside is a 'MAN TRAP'....I wouldn't want to be caught in one of
them! to me, it looked like a large Rabbit Trap!
Have a look at the cemetery of Australia's oldest remaining Catholic
Church, St Johns, built in 1836.
I love cemeteries, and this one IS OLD!
You'll get the most out of Richmond by wandering its streets. then relax
on the banks of the Coal River with a picnic, feed the ducks, and take in
the beauty of the area.
For much of its history it was the main gateway to the east coast and the Tasman Peninsula, (Port Arthur)
If you are travelling to these destinations from Hobart, consider visiting
Richmond on your way.
Richmond is 30-minutes’ drive (24 kilometres/15 miles) east of Hobart along the B31.
- Pros:A delightful town full of history
- In a nutshell:Learn about the early days of settlement in Australia
Another find was "Peppercorn Gallery", this was originally known as "Mill cottage. Mill Cottage was built in 1850 as a... more travel advice
The Richmond Arms Hotel was formerly known as the Commercial Hotel (1888) This hotel was built to replace the earlier... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RICHMOND- On the Convict Trail"
- "Richmond with a historic township settled in 1824."
- "old town"
- "HISTORIC RICHMOND NEW SOUTH WALES."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (247)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: About Toll Charges in..."
- updated a Richmond Travel Page "RICHMOND- On the Convict Trail"
- Uploaded a Photo to "RICHMOND- On the Convict Trail"
- Wrote a Review 'PEPPERCORN GALLERY" in Richmond Things to Do
- Commented on one of Henk.Irene's Richmond travel pages
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues