"RIVERTON" Riverton by balhannah
Riverton Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 31 photos
Riverton is town with quite a few historic buildings. It's located 96km, north of Adelaide.
The first Europeans came in the 1840s.
James Masters, an innkeeper and pastoralist, sent his shepherds with herds of sheep, into the Gilbert Valley. Later, the district was surveyed in 1853 and farmers were sold 32 hectare lots of land.
The real change, and the real development of the town, occurred with the discovery of copper at Burra and Kapunda.
Riverton grew, with saddlers, wheelwrights and blacksmiths arriving to service the copper wagons.
Not surprisingly, the first building constructed was a pub, (unlicensed) which was opened in 1853 to provide alcoholic relief to the thirsty bullock drivers.
The following year a store, Post Office and Telegraph Office were opened and James Masters and Matthew Moorhouse named the new settlement, Riverton.
Plenty of walking was done here in Riverton, so now we will have a rest in the car as we travel onto the historic town of KAPUNDA
- In a nutshell:Lovely northern town, with lots of historic buildings!
We are leaving Riverton and heading to Kapunda, but first we will make a stop at Tarlee. Lots of people do this, as... more travel advice
This is a lovely old Station which opened for railway business in 1869. The building was added to between 1875 to 1905.... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Riverton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Riverton
- 15 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Riverton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riverton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 242 reviews, 692 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 121 reviews, 414 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues