"VISIT HISTORICAL ROSS!" Ross by balhannah
Ross Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 50 photos
ROSS, was named by Governor Macquarie in 1821, and was one of the
first sites selected for a town in Tasmania.
The village's pride & joy, is the magnificently carved bridge over
Macquarie River which was built by convict labour and opened in 1836 and
is one of the oldest and most beautiful bridges in Australia.
At night, the bridge is floodlit!
The banks of the Maquarie River next to the bridge is an excellent place to
have a picnic and feed the swans and ducks or even catch a glimpse of a platypus!
The corners of the main crossroads in the town are locally known as
Temptation, Recreation, Salvation and Damnation ...............
Man-O-War Hotel, the Catholic Church the town hall and the former gaol (now a private house).
The wide main street is lovely, it's lined with old elms giving plenty of
shade and beauty to the old town. Added to this are numerous convict
built Georgian sandstone buildings.
DO VISIT ROSS, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!
- Pros:beautiful, shady little village
- In a nutshell:Make sure you see the Ross Bridge, it is beautiful!
Whilst walking the streets of Ross, we noticed the old bakery in the main street. Bakery for lunch, it was decided, so... more travel advice
Oatlands, 79ks from Hobart, full of Georgian Architecture. Oatlands flour mill, Originally the Callington Mill, began... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Ross Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ross
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Ross?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ross
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue