"STRATHALBYN IS A "HERITAGE LISTED TOWN"" Strathalbyn by balhannah
Strathalbyn Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 48 photos
Strathalbyn was laid out by Dr John Rankine who arrived in South Australia on the "Fairfield" in 1839.
The name was chosen by the Doctor. "Strath" was Gaelic for "a valley with a river running through it'', but albyn was not a Gaelic word. The doctor had been a main shareholder in the "Albion Iron Mills'' in Glasgow and he wanted to associate the business with the new settlement he had created in South Australia, not liking "Strathalbion'', he made it "Strathalbyn''.
Strathalbyn is classified a heritage town, located about 57kms from Adelaide.
Surrounded by rolling hills, picturesque valleys, tall gums and farming country, the historic town of Strathalbyn is recognised as one of South Australia's loveliest country towns.
Strathalbyn is the unofficial antique capital of South Australia
The Steam Ranger train will bring you here as well as Premier Stateline coaches, or by private car along one of the many scenic routes.
- Pros:A lovely historical country town
- In a nutshell:Antique capital of South Australia
As we drove around Strathalbyn, we came across some very different buildings. One of them, was the style and stone the... more travel advice
There is no shortage in Strathalbyn, of finding a Pub to enjoy a nice cold Beer and a meal! A Hotel was much more... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Strathalbyn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STRATHALBYN IS A "HERITAGE LISTED TOWN""
- "Country town in between Adelaide and Victor Harbor"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Strathalbyn
- 13 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Strathalbyn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Strathalbyn
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: About Toll Charges in..."
- updated a Strathalbyn Travel Page "STRATHALBYN IS A "HERITAGE LISTED TOWN""
- Wrote a Review UNUSUAL BUILDINGS IN STRATHALBYN in Strathalbyn Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "STRATHALBYN IS A "HERITAGE LISTED TOWN""
- Commented on one of aberacadabra's Strathalbyn travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 127 reviews, 434 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues