"PETER ALLEN WAS BORN HERE........" Tenterfield by balhannah
Tenterfield Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 91 photos
TENTERFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF A NATION.
JULY 2015 AND IT'S SNOWING IN TENTERFIELD
Henry Parkes chose this spot to deliver his Federation speech in 1889, which led to the establishment of Australia as a unified nation in 1901
Tenterfield is located in the New England area of New South Wales,
699 km N of Sydney and 275 km SW of Brisbane or a three-hour drive from Brisbane, and 10 hours from Sydney
Once again, Granite outcrops are prominent in the area [this town is near Glen Innes] with the most famous being that of Bald Rock which sits within the Bald Rock National Park.
In 1841, Sir Stuart Donaldson [the 1st Pemier of N.S.W] was running 18,000 sheep on a property that he named Tenterfield Station, after a family home in Scotland. The railway opened to Tenterfield on 28 October 1884, and in 1886 to the Queensland border and onto Brisbane, thus connecting Sydney and Brisbane for the 1st time. This was quite an achievement.
WORLD WAR II
I had the opportunity to do a walk to "Tank Traps" and wondered what they were doing in this area.
What I found out was during World War II, Tenterfield was earmarked as a key battleground if the Japanese should invade Australia. During 1942 thousands of soldiers were set up in emergency camps, the locals did not know this.
Now you can see the overgrown tanks traps and gun emplacements on the Mount Lindesay road to Stanthorpe via Bald Rock National Park.
Tenterfield has a many Heritage listed buildings. This is another good town to walk the main street looking at the old buildings. Probably one of the most well known is the Tenterfield Saddler's Shop which Peter Allen made a song about.
The district is known for beef cattle breeding and superfine wool production through the breeding of Merino sheep.
A visit here in Autumn, and the Town looks stunning, there are many large deciduous Trees that colour beautifully in Autumn.
Winter is Cold!
Take the self- guided heritage walk to see the historic buildings of Tenterfield
An enjoyable day trip from Tenterfield is to BALD ROCK NATIONAL PARK
2012 - And we are heading home crossing over the New South Wales / Queensland border at WALLANGARRA
2015 ROAD TRIP - Next stop TORRINGTON STATE RECREATION PARK
- Pros:Pretty in Autumn when the leaves colour
- Cons:Gets very, very cold
- In a nutshell:Nice town to make a base to see the surrounding area.
Travelling 10kms south from Tenterfield along the New England Highway, your sure to notice the massive Bluff Rock on the... more travel advice
The Tenterfield area is another good place for Bird watching. Without even trying, we saw lots of brightly coloured... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Tenterfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PETER ALLEN WAS BORN HERE........"
- "Birthplace of a Nation"
- "Tenterfield...A Federation Town"
- "Tenterfield, Northern N.S.W."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tenterfield
- Hotels in Tenterfield
- Restaurants in Tenterfield
- Shopping in Tenterfield
- Warnings and Dangers in Tenterfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tenterfield
- 18 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (537)
Have you been to Tenterfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tenterfield
Photos in TenterfieldSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 169 reviews, 325 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues