"PRETTY TOWN BESIDE THE RIVER MURRAY" Tocumwal by balhannah
Tocumwal Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 33 photos
Tocumwal is located 257kms from Melbourne on the New South Wales border.
It is the first town on one of Australia's major inland routes, the Newell Highway.
Water skiing, canoeing, swimming, camping, caravanning, bush walking and the vast array of native wildlife including over 150 different bird species, kangaroos and koalas, wedge tails and wallabies in their natural habitat make Tocumwal a lovely place to holiday.
I would love to stay here longer too! There are many motels or self contained units, caravan parks with beautifully landscaped surrounds, pools, spas, tennis, or red gum forest.
The Australia Day long weekend features the Tocumwal Fishing Classic which sees up to 1000 participants.
Tocumwal (originally Tucumival), was named after an Aboriginal word meaning "deep hole" or "pit", and that it was the abode of a native spirit which was accustomed to flit from the river underground by a subterranean passage and bob up at the Blow Hole in the granite formation at the Rocks.
The "Blow Hole" in Tocumwal is the small outcrop of rocks which is near "The Rocks" area, north-east of Tocumwal and has been closely associated with the folklore of the area.
Now we will head onto Ned Kelly country in inland Australia, and visit the town of JERILDERIE
- Pros:Lots and lots to offer
- In a nutshell:Come and stay for awhile!
Another of those "big" sights that are found all around Australia. I rather like this one. Tocumwal is known for good... more travel advice
There are plenty of these, so stop the car, and go for the short walk along the flat paved street. Most of the buildings... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Tocumwal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Tocumwal Page"
- "PRETTY TOWN BESIDE THE RIVER MURRAY"
- "Tocumwal, More sunny days then Queensland"
- "Tocumwal, the largest air base during WWII."
- "TOCUMWAL....S.W. NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tocumwal
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (488)
Have you been to Tocumwal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tocumwal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues