"Gardens & Gardeners Galore!" Top 5 Page for this destination Toowoomba by balhannah
Toowoomba Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 277 photos
QUEENSLAND'S GARDEN CITY - TOOWOOMBA
On our 11,500km journey, we pass through Toowoomba, no stopping this time as we visit here often. I do hope you will stop and enjoy this "flower city."
We stop at the next town, which is PITTSWORTH
JANUARY 10th 2011, and Toowoomba and the surrounding towns of Murphy's Creek, Grantham & Withcott have been devasted by an ALMIGHTY FLOOD.
Can you imagine 10" or 250mills of rain falling in 1 hour, incredible!!
This flood was a once in a life time event, described as an inland Tsunami.
It caught people unaware, coming unexpectedly with such force and speed, that some lost their lives. There is a tremendous amount of damage, and a lot of people without homes.
My heart and prayers go out to these people, and I do hope that we never see anything like this happen again, once in history is enough!
Toowoomba is a modern city, with beautiful heritage buildings & modern ones interspersed amongst them.
The magnificently restored art deco Empire Theatre is one of these, this Theatre attracts regular performances.
Located on the edge of the Great Dividing Range, 700 metres above sea level, Toowoomba is known for its open spaces, parks, and as the "GARDEN CITY."
It is located about and hour and a half from Brisbane, an easy drive on good roads.
One of the city's famous vantage points is Picnic Point, from where you can explore the graded walks along the range escarpment, or sit back, relax and take in the view.
Views are had, overlooking the fertile, vegetable growing area of Lockyer Valley, parts of Toowoomba, and Table Top Mountain.
PICNIC POINT IS A MUST VISIT
Because of where its located, it experiences the four seasons, so foliage will change colour for Autumn, unlike Brisbane.
In Winter, it is quite cold, and in Summer, generally cooler than Brisbane.
The city has two sign posted scenic tours that you can do, this way you can see all the main sights. A well signposted drive for visitors will take you past the city's finest architecture, including City Hall, the National Trust Royal Bulls Head Inn and Heritage Street and historic Russel Street.
A visit to the Cobb & Co Museum is a must as it houses Australia's largest collection of horse-drawn vehicles.
Toowoomba really is Queensland's Garden City, with more than 240 public parks and gardens. In spring, the gardens are an extravaganza of colour, and the city celebrates with its Carnival of Flowers, held each year in September.
From mid-January to mid-February the city is again ablaze with floral colour.
From March to May tints of red and gold, mark the Autumn showing, when you can walk through Queens Park amongst the blanket of fallen oak and willow leaves.
Garden lovers will be kept busy exploring the city's internationally themed gardens the University of Southern Queensland's Japanese Gardens, the Wetlands of the World and the New Zealand themed park at Lake Annand.
If you would like to stroll among the flowers, visit the meticulously tended Queens Park Gardens at Queens Park or take time out to smell the flowers in Laurel Bank Park.
Use Toowoomba as your base to explore the interesting surrounding towns.
COME TO TOOWOOMBA, I DOUBT IF YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!
- Pros:Beautiful garden city
- Cons:Can be very cold!
- In a nutshell:Toowoomba truly is a 'GARDEN CITY'
This Caravan Park is the nearest one to the City Centre, and is located opposite parkground, and a short walk away from... more travel advice
When walking Ruthven Street, I came across the Art Gallery and Art Gallery park. The park is only small, has some... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Toowoomba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gardens & Gardeners Galore!"
- "Midway between Brissie and the Darling Downs"
- "Sweetberry's Toowoomba page."
- "Not just the City of Flowers - Love the Trees"
- "Living in Toowoomba..The Garden City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toowoomba
- Hotels in Toowoomba
- Nightlife in Toowoomba
- Restaurants in Toowoomba
- Shopping in Toowoomba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toowoomba
- 39 Reviews
- 208 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (488)
Have you been to Toowoomba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toowoomba
Photos in ToowoombaSee All Photos (208)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues