"WARRUMBUNGLE NATIONAL PARK" Warrumbungle National Park by balhannah
Warrumbungle National Park Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 21 photos
Distance of about 750kms from Brisbane, and just 36kms west of Coonabarabran along a sealed road, is the Warrumbungle Range, which contains the Warrumbungle National Park.
This park contains the remnants of the extinct Warrumbungle Volcano which began its life 17 million years ago.
Warrumbungle National Park is the ideal spot for a day trip or camping holiday.
We stayed at the Park's campground which was quiet, we could have campfires, and wildlife & Birds abounded.
There were plenty of bushwalking tracks, all different levels of difficulty, so something for everyone.
In the centre of the Park, is the Warrumbungle Visitors Centre which provides information on the Indigenous and European history of the area.
It is here you pay your park entry fee of $7 in 2012.
The Visitors Centre provides information on campgrounds, walking trails, geology and flora and fauna in the Park.
The shop sells guidebooks, posters, postcards, gifts, ice and some camping supplies and refreshments.
Both the centre and public toilets are wheelchair accessible.
Kangaroo's were around the centre, and a couple of the pretty bright red & green King Parrots.
The Park contains a dramatic landscape of craggy spires, domes, vast plateaus, forested ridges, and deep gorges.
The term 'Warrumbungles' is the Gamilaroi for 'crooked mountains'.
There are several Aboriginal sites that can be walked to.
I did quite a bit of bushwalking here, and will have to return to do some more.
It is a wonderful, interesting area!
We have walked the Warrumbungles, enjoyed the wildlife, but now it is time to move onto GILGANDRA on our road trip to Southern Australia.
- Pros:Wonderful scenery!
- In a nutshell:Scenic National park, with Birdlife/Wildlife/Walks
Tooraweenah is a tiny rural village of about 130 people on the lower western slopes of the Warrumbungles. It is quite... more travel advice
As the Park is full of Kangaroos, drive slowly past Kangaroos, you never know which way they are going to jump! One... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Warrumbungle National Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Warrumbungle National Park
- Hotels in Warrumbungle National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warrumbungle National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (516)
Have you been to Warrumbungle National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warrumbungle National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where are you going this year..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Warrumbungle National Park tips
- updated a Warrumbungle National Park Travel Page "WARRUMBUNGLE NATIONAL PARK"
- Uploaded a Photo to "WARRUMBUNGLE NATIONAL PARK"
- Wrote a Review TOORAWEENAH-Step back in time! in Warrumbungle National Park Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Warrumbungle National ParkSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues