"HISTORIC WILLUNGA" Willunga by balhannah
Willunga Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
The town of Willunga, is the second oldest town in South Australia.
Willunga on the Fleurieu Peninsula, is nestled into the lower end of the Adelaide ranges midway between the seaside resort of Victor Harbour and South Australia's capital city Adelaide.
Willunga, one of the principal towns of the Fleurieu Peninsula is also known for its historical buildings and yearly events.
Slate Mining was one of the original industries in the Willunga District.
Now, Almonds have became a major income provider for the families until the 1980's, when vines became more viable with the increased cost of water.
Many renowned almond varieties were developed in the Willunga district.
An almond cracker, originally designed, patented and built by local almond grower G. M. Herriott in the late forties was used universally throughout Australia.
Dairying, potatoes, wheat, barley, hay, field peas and the raising of prime lambs... have been other major activities supplying Adelaide and surrounding districts.
Willunga hay has often been a lifesaver for northern farmers in times of drought.
The Willunga Basin, the western areas, now unfortunately being developed for housing, is considered to be the best barley growing region in the Southern Hemisphere.
WILLUNGA HOLDS MANY FESTIVALS
Every year, starting on the last Saturday in July, the Almond Blossom festival runs for 1 week.
Fleurieu Folk Festival is held in October.
Christmas Tree Festival held in December
More info...www. willunga.unitingchurch.com.au
Time to move onto our next town on DAY TRIP 5.
We depart Willunga, via Main road, which leads us directly into McLAREN VALE, where we are going to stop for awhile.
- In a nutshell:A lovely historic town to spend some time in.
What you first notice about Willunga Bakery, it is busy! A good sign! Local workers were coming to buy their lunches,... more travel advice
Located in quite a few of the heritage buildings in Willunga, is where you can try local food. Some that I saw on my... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Willunga Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Willunga
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (241)
Have you been to Willunga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Willunga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue