"WILMINGTON or BEAUTIFUL VALLEY" Wilmington by balhannah
Wilmington Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 33 photos
Peace and Quiet except for the Birds!
Wilmington is located 292 km north of Adelaide, in the Flinders Ranges.
The town was once known as Beautiful Valley, named by the first European settlers who arrived in the 1850s and thought this was a very pretty area, and so it was named Beautiful Valley.
The town was officially named Wilmington by Governor Musgrave in 1876.
No one is quite sure where he got the name, but it is assumed that it was taken from either Wilmington in Delaware or Wilmington in North Carolina, in the United States.
....Why he chose this name is not certain, although it is known that Musgrave's wife was American.
Today Wilmington is a sleepy little town with a population of only a couple of hundred people.
It's a town that has nearly stood still!
We are going to see more of the FLINDERS RANGES and visit the northern Towns enroute of QUORN and HAWKER.
Back at Wilmington after much walking and seeing wonderful scenery, we will now continue our 11,500 km journey to PORT AUGUSTA.
On our 2014 road trip we also head to PORT AUGUSTA.
This is where we stay at the end of Day 5
- Cons:What shops they have, shut early
- In a nutshell:Pretty area in the Flinders Ranges
Emerging from Hancock's L/out road, we turned left and followed the main north road [B56] down through Horrocks Pass in... more travel advice
At the Beautiful Valley Caravan and on the sides of roads in the area, we saw many pairs of the pretty Red Rumped... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Wilmington Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wilmington
- Hotels in Wilmington
- Warnings and Dangers in Wilmington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wilmington
- 8 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (512)
Have you been to Wilmington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilmington
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues