"BEAUTIFUL BODRUM" Top 5 Page for this destination Bodrum by balhannah
Bodrum Travel Guide: 717 reviews and 1,647 photos
This is a port City with lots of White, flat roofed houses that reminded me of Greece, yet we were in Turkey!
It has a reputation as being a "Party Town" and it probably is, as I noticed lots of Nightclubs on my walks. As I was in "Off Season", it was pretty quiet.
I also found out, that quite a few American film stars have come here for holidays.
When you see its beauty, it's no wonder they come here!
Bodrum also was the site of one of the "Seven wonders of the ancient world" This was the "Mausoleum of Mausolus
Bodrum is OLD!
The history of Bodrum (also known as Halicarnassus) goes back to 13th century BC. Carians were the very first people to settle in Bodrum and the harbor area was occupied by Dorian Greeks in the 7th century BC.
Then Mausolus, on behalf of the Persians, started ruling over the city from 377 to 353 BC.
Artemisia II of Caria took over the ruling after the death of Mausolus and employed two Greek architects and four sculptors to built a monument and tomb for Mausolus. This temple like structure, Mausoleum, rested for 1700 years and was finally destroyed by an earthquake.
Crusader Knights arrived in the city and built the Bodrum Castle using the remains of the Mausoleum. The castle served as a monopoly for the Knights over centuries and then in 1522, Suleyman took over the pedestal of Crusader Knights on the Island of Rhodes. The Knights departed to Malta leaving Bodrum and the Castle to the Ottoman Empire.
Today the Castle is one of the finest Museums of the city.
Make sure to leave plenty of time to have a look around, to enjoy the history and the marvellous sites from its walls.
- Pros:Nice for walking the Promenade
- Cons:Touristy, so more expensive
- In a nutshell:Wouldn't like to be here in Peak Season!
As I was here in May, there weren't a real lot of people about, so I booked my ticket the same morning as I wanted to... more travel advice
Yalikavak, another small seaside town that is quieter than Bodrum. The shopping area has narrow lane ways and is quite... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Bodrum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BODRUM, TURKEY"
- "GREASE IS THE WORD"
- "BODRUM 2004"
- "BEAUTIFUL BODRUM"
- "Bodrum Bodrum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodrum
- Hotels in Bodrum
- Transportation in Bodrum
- Nightlife in Bodrum
- Restaurants in Bodrum
- Shopping in Bodrum
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodrum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bodrum
- 23 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (597)
Have you been to Bodrum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodrum
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 257 reviews, 752 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues