"MAGICAL CAPPADOCIA!" Top 5 Page for this destination Goreme by balhannah
Goreme Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,590 photos
I WANTED TO EXPERIENCE CAPPADOCIA...
Ever since I saw Cappadocia on one of our Australian Travel shows, I knew that it was somewhere that I had to visit and explore. It looked very enticing, just beckoning for me to come.
Well, come I did, and I wasn't the least bit disappointed!
I would have liked longer, but I don't think my legs and feet would have stayed the distance. As the days wore on, my body said that I would have exhausted myself completely if I had stayed longer.
HEADING FROM THE AIRPORT TO GOREME.........
I arrived at Kayseri Airport, and was picked up by my shuttle. When the bus was full, off we went.............................
First of all, it wasn't the shapes that made us say "Ooh & Ah!" it was the beautiful snow capped Mountain, something I wasn't expecting to see.
Further on we went, and the funny shaped formations started appearing.
Cameras started clicking. This was amazing!
Then we dropped our 1st passengers off at their accommodation, a Cave Hotel, wow! we were all intrigued.................
I only did one tour during my stay here, the rest of the time I use my legs.
The tour that I did was the IHLARA VALLEY TOUR.
This I couldn't walk to!
It started off in Goreme, with a stop at a lookout over Goreme valley, with fantastic views, and a few souvenir shops.
We then continued onto the underground city of DERINKUYU which was amazing, went 8 floor levels deep.
At the Town of Ihlara, we stopped on the outskirts to have a look at the Gorge. A boy on a Donkey soon was over, hoping to do some business with Donkey rides, but no time for that.
Carrying on, we arrived where the entrance is into the Valley. A long walk down many steps, then a walk through the Valley to Belisirma
where the included lunch as well as a rest was included.
Don't let a TALL AMERICAN take the lead [another tourist], heavens knows what he saw, but I saw very little thanks to him!! I was nearly running to keep up, which, I couldn't do!
Selime Monastery was our next stop, and an incredible monastery this was.
A stop at Mamasin volacanic lake which was pretty, then onto Uchisar for a look at Pigeon Valley, and finally, at Uchisar, a stop at the Onyx factory for some hard sell!.... just to wreck a good day!
This was a good tour to do, but for the Onyx factory!!!
Goreme was where I made my base.
My Hotel did not disappoint, it was on the side of a hill, not the best for climbing after the end of a long days walk, but those views were wonderful!
Breakfast on the Terrace was a delight, the view from the Terrace, something I didn't tire of looking at.
Goreme itself was the perfect base to explore the area.
I loved the town. It was only small, but great for walking around the streets, and at meal times, plenty of places to choose from. Men on Horses came into town at night, and in the early morning, I saw Horse & cart heading to fields to work.
I felt like I had been transported back in time.
I didn't do a Balloon ride, but I did get up early to go and see them taking off, it was well worth it. It must be a sight in "High Season" when there is a hundred or more!
I really loved it here, and to anybody who cares to read or listen, I think you would love this place if you want to experience some entirely different scenery, and to be prepared to do some walking, ......
GOREME & CAPPADOCIA WERE ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES IN THE WORLD!
- Pros:Stunning beauty! Very different!
- Cons:Dangerous climbs and walks if off the beaten track
- In a nutshell:SOMETHING FROM OUTER SPACE!!
I had a Free Shuttle booking with my Hotel. On arrival at the Airport, we arrived at the same time as probably 100 other... more travel advice
This Tomb is located opposite the Selime Cathedral. It has the architectural and decorative characteristic of an early... more travel advice
- See All CHILDREN & DONKEY RIDES
- See All ONYX SHOP (ON TOUR)
- SOGANLI DOLLS
- See All Toasted Sandwich
balhannah's Related Pages
Goreme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAGICAL CAPPADOCIA!"
- "Göreme and Cappadocia"
- "Goreme Open-Air Museum"
- "The magical, fantasy world of Kapadokya"
- "Goreme and Cappadocia"
- "For those who into art history"
- "out of this world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goreme
- Hotels in Goreme
- Transportation in Goreme
- Nightlife in Goreme
- Restaurants in Goreme
- Shopping in Goreme
- Warnings and Dangers in Goreme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goreme
- 41 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Goreme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goreme
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 127 reviews, 434 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues