"MAGICAL CAPPADOCIA!" Top 5 Page for this destination Goreme by balhannah

Goreme Travel Guide: 513 reviews and 1,597 photos

I WANTED TO EXPERIENCE CAPPADOCIA...

Ever since I saw Cappadocia on one of our Australian Travel shows, I knew that it was somewhere that I had to visit and explore. It looked very enticing, just beckoning for me to come.

Well, come I did, and I wasn't the least bit disappointed!

I would have liked longer, but I don't think my legs and feet would have stayed the distance. As the days wore on, my body said that I would have exhausted myself completely if I had stayed longer.

HEADING FROM THE AIRPORT TO GOREME.........

I arrived at Kayseri Airport, and was picked up by my shuttle. When the bus was full, off we went.............................

First of all, it wasn't the shapes that made us say "Ooh & Ah!" it was the beautiful snow capped Mountain, something I wasn't expecting to see.
Further on we went, and the funny shaped formations started appearing.

Cameras started clicking. This was amazing!

Then we dropped our 1st passengers off at their accommodation, a Cave Hotel, wow! we were all intrigued.................

I only did one tour during my stay here, the rest of the time I use my legs.
The tour that I did was the IHLARA VALLEY TOUR.
This I couldn't walk to!
It started off in Goreme, with a stop at a lookout over Goreme valley, with fantastic views, and a few souvenir shops.

We then continued onto the underground city of DERINKUYU which was amazing, went 8 floor levels deep.

At the Town of Ihlara, we stopped on the outskirts to have a look at the Gorge. A boy on a Donkey soon was over, hoping to do some business with Donkey rides, but no time for that.

Carrying on, we arrived where the entrance is into the Valley. A long walk down many steps, then a walk through the Valley to Belisirma
where the included lunch as well as a rest was included.

Don't let a TALL AMERICAN take the lead [another tourist], heavens knows what he saw, but I saw very little thanks to him!! I was nearly running to keep up, which, I couldn't do!

Selime Monastery was our next stop, and an incredible monastery this was.

A stop at Mamasin volacanic lake which was pretty, then onto Uchisar for a look at Pigeon Valley, and finally, at Uchisar, a stop at the Onyx factory for some hard sell!.... just to wreck a good day!

This was a good tour to do, but for the Onyx factory!!!

Goreme was where I made my base.

My Hotel did not disappoint, it was on the side of a hill, not the best for climbing after the end of a long days walk, but those views were wonderful!
Breakfast on the Terrace was a delight, the view from the Terrace, something I didn't tire of looking at.

Goreme itself was the perfect base to explore the area.

I loved the town. It was only small, but great for walking around the streets, and at meal times, plenty of places to choose from. Men on Horses came into town at night, and in the early morning, I saw Horse & cart heading to fields to work.
I felt like I had been transported back in time.

I didn't do a Balloon ride, but I did get up early to go and see them taking off, it was well worth it. It must be a sight in "High Season" when there is a hundred or more!

I really loved it here, and to anybody who cares to read or listen, I think you would love this place if you want to experience some entirely different scenery, and to be prepared to do some walking, ......

GOREME & CAPPADOCIA WERE ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES IN THE WORLD!

• Pros:Stunning beauty! Very different!
  • Cons:Dangerous climbs and walks if off the beaten track
  • In a nutshell:SOMETHING FROM OUTER SPACE!!
  • Last visit to Goreme: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2012

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Outstanding page. I loved your photos. It brought back pleasant memories of my own journey here. I walked alone here too and I no problems.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Great page! ;) Actually it is so special land, pity, that I still haven't visited it, maybe next time :)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Dee. You got to see a lot on this tour and clearly you had a lot of initiative. Your pages bring back a lot of memories. I was especially impressed that you pointed out the thing about the eyes being gouged out in the frescoes! I saw all this back in the 90's when there was much more limited tourist infrastructure and fewer tourists. Well done, your pages describe it very well:)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Thank you Dee for an excellent page bringing back sweet memories about this magnificent place!

• albaaust's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM

Isn't it amazing Dee that you can go to the same place and because you went at a different time you "see" different things!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM

The Ilhara valley walk was marvelous, no two way about it, but the hot air balloon ride was spectacular. One of those rare items worth splurging on imo.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM

A very informative page Dee. I think we have made a great choice to visit Turkey late 2010. Must avoid the hot months.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Stunning page you have here. Just got back from Turkey, uploaded many tips about my recent trip still need to do Goreme. Would appreciate if you could visit and rate me ;-)

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Hi Dee thanks for this tour of Goreme, and thank you for visiting my pages. All the best.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 3:27 AM

thanx for bring back good memories from Capadocia! too bad you missed the Buckle church! thats why you should read VT pages before travel somewhere :))

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Goreme