"OOH LAH LAH!!!!!!" France by balhannah

France Travel Guide: 59,653 reviews and 163,197 photos

2013 ANOTHER TOUR OF EUROPE

Once again, you can travel with me through many countries, starting with
Senlis in France. From there, just click onto the links at the bottom of each page to take you to the new towns and cities we visited.

New towns added in 2013 Senlis, Pierrefonds, Vitry-Le-Francois, Champagne-Ardenne, Ribeauville and Strasbourg
Next morning, we cross the border into GERMANY

2011 ...WE SPENT 11 DAYS DRIVING AROUND FRANCE

A French man asks my husband " What are Australian's doing in France, so far away from home?"

The reply was "Driving around the country, enjoying the sights."

What did the French man say when he heard this?

OOH LAH LAH!!!!!!

Now, that brought a smile to our faces!!!

LETS GO TOURING FRANCE!

Our first few days was spent in the capital Paris.
We couldn’t come to France and not see Paris.

Now, we didn’t probably do what the majority of tourist’s do,
that is, follow the main tourist trail, but we did have a wonderful two weeks in France exploring the backroads and the beautiful, small uncrowded villages.

Ooh, lah, lah, it was SO PRETTY!!!!!

I do hope you will join me as my virtual touring companion around scenic Mountain roads, less visited villages and more.
It may give you the incentive to venture off the well known tracks.

Please click on the BLUE NAMES to follow our route through France.
So let us begin. .........

Day 1

And our journey begins after checking out of our Paris Hotel.
In our brand new Renault Dacia car, we join the horrendous peak hour morning traffic in Paris. I am the navigator and “your the back seat driver!!!”

We make our first stop St. Germain En Laye and visit the beautiful Chateau. Other towns stopped at were La Roche Guyon, Giverny,
and Les Andelys, where we spent our 1st night.

Day 2.

We depart Les Andelys and head to Louviers before driving past some pretty scenery to [mbv] village and Abbey of Le Bec Hellouin,what a lovely area!
Next stop Lisieux to visit the famous Basilica, and nearby,the pretty Chateau St Germain De Livet. We are now in Apple Cider country visiting Crevecoeur-En-Auge and then to Cambremer before staying at a nearby B&B.

Day3

A great start to a new day with a visit to MBV, Beuvron-En-Auge.
We travel backroads until we hit the beach at Blonville-sur-Mer and onto Honfleur. Leaving the coast, we head inland to William the Conqueror's town, Falaise.
Here, we went into the Castle and I wandered the old town. Another stop was made at the pretty Pont d' Ouilly, where I couldn't find the chapel I wanted to see!

Night 3 was spent at Flers.

DAY 4

On the road early as we wanted to reach Fougeres for our next night and see Mont St. Michel as well.

Already we are stopping, as Bagnoles-de-l-Orne looks wonderful, and I just have to have a look around! More stops today were at Domfront, the pretty St. Malo & Dinard area which is by the Beach, Combourg and the lovely old medieval town of Dinan.

DAY 5

1st stop today was the medieval town of Vitre,a lovely town, then it was onto Craon for morning tea, before stopping at Segre and moving into the Loire Valley and having a look at Saumur.

Day 6

After a good night at Doue-La-Fontaine, we moved onto Montreuil-Bellay and the Royal Fontevraud Abbey. This area is very pretty!
Chinon,
Villandry, a wonderful Castle and garden.

Day 7

And our 1st stop is at Le Blanc, a lovely town with a huge Viaduct. Oradur-Sur-Glane is an interesting Martyr village left how it was after being bombed in the War. Our last stop is at the medeival town of Saint Yrieix la Perche

Day 8
Today, we're stopping at MBV of Montignac and then going to the famous Lascaux Caves which were excellent. Near the town of Thonac is La Roque Saint- Christophe & Maison Forte De Reignac, you can read about these on my Thonac page. MBVILLAGES Beynac et Cazenac and La Roque Gageac, both lived up to their tital!

Tonight, we are staying at Sarlat-La-Caneda.

Day 9

We had to move on, and our next stop was Salignac, then the amazing Village of Rocamadour

More wonderful scenery on the way to St. Flour where we spend our next night.

Day 10
We stop at the medieval town of Langeac for a yummy morning tea before heading onto the incredible town of Le Puy-En-Velay.
From Le Puy En Velay, we move on through beautiful scenery where there are Vineyard's and Cherry Trees, making a stop at Andancette for our afternoon tea.
On the road again, and now the scenery is Mountainous, and there are many cliff's. We see waterfall's, we passed through small village's and then through a Mountain tunnel and onto Chambery where we are staying the night.
Chambery is in a pretty situation, surrounded by snow capped Mountain's.

DAY 11

We have a great start to the day as we went to see the Gorges du Fier. These were fabulous! We stop at Annecy, and no wonder people like this Old town. It was fun to walk around and see the sights. After spending some time here, we head along a very scenic route to Evian-Les-Bains.

We stayed at Thonon-Les-Bain's, which is about 10kms away.

This was our LAST STOP IN FRANCE, from here we followed the edge of the Lake until we crossed the border into Switzerland, where we stayed at Montreux for a few nights.

I hope you have enjoyed your journey with me, and will continue the tour through Switzerland.

• Pros:Excellent weather in May
  • Cons:Language barrier
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful! I want to go back and see much more!
  • Last visit to France: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2014

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM

You have visited many, many places in France. Some I remember the name but don't remember what I saw. It will be a pleasure for me to revisit thanks to your reviews and photos.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jul 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I really like the French scenery. After seeing more wonderful scenery on the Tour de France, I feel like I want to return!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM

You have such fun pages Dee! I always enjoy them!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I agree Dee, the villages are so charming and beautiful! Nice page!

• dromosapien's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Love your beautiful crisp photos of some out of the way places! (now I got it right)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

France is so hard because there is so much to choose from. Did you venture into some of the cities for particular sites such as a special Cathedral etc?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Yes, We did.

• LeslieofTodd's Profile Photo
      Mar 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Dee-It has been quite a challenge for me to decide which cities in France I will use as my "bases" for exploring the surrounding areas. I want to make certain to include side trips to some of the highly recommended "Beautiful Villages". It was quite helpful to read of the route you took on your driving tour of France. I will be making my tour by train and I have found it quite challenging to divide up my 18 days in a sensible and satisfying way. Your Annecy page has been helpful, too. Thank you for sharing your experiences! Leslie

• TheaIren's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for looking my travel pages. France is one of my fave countries to visit. I like their kitchen, I like their sort of arrogance, art and culture. Language is beutiful as well...as you say - naturallement ooh lah lah and se bon :D

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Good that you saw a selection of „the most beautiful villages in France. “ It sounds like you made great use of those eleven days.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I do like the way you have set out this page with your itinerary described and linked - I may copy it for my New Mexico page when all my individual ones are done, if I may?
    And I love the idea of planting bulbs on the thatched roofs like that! Wish I had one to do it myself (although it would look odd on our Victorian terrace lol) And that "most beautiful villages" website sounds excellent :-)

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Glad you enjoyed my Versailles page. It's simply the largest and most regal place you can imagine. But of course, it's in France! OOH LA LA indeed!

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I enjoyed your pages. Shame I won't be driving around France because you've shown there are so many places to see

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in France