"Where the English come to be beside the Seaside!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Marmaris by balhannah

Marmaris Travel Guide: 631 reviews and 1,144 photos

ANCIENT MARMARIS

Marmaris is quite old, going back in history to 900BC.
When Marmaris was a part of the Ottoman empire, it name was Mimaras, then changed to Mermeris and finally Marmaris.
In 1522, the Ottoman Sultan "Suleyman the Magnificent" conquered the city.
If you visit the Castle in the old section of the city, you will see a photo of him!

The Castle has lovely views from its ramparts and is well worth a visit!
Also in this area, is the "old city" which is has plenty of windy, narrow streets just begging to be explored......... I found it an interesting and pretty area. Some of the streets are quite steep!
In days gone by, Marmaris used to be a quaint fishing village, it certainly isn't that these days! Hotels line street after street!

MODERN MARMARIS

Units, Resorts, Hotels and any other accommodation you can think of is here.
When I first saw Marmaris, I couldn't believe how many Holiday resorts there were. How could they fill them all? Evidently they do in Summer they do as the English just love to come here and sunbake. I certainly saw plenty of snow white people and bright pink people!!!!!!

A GHOST CITY IN WINTER

I also was told by my Hotel, that they close over Winter, so does it become
a bit of a Ghost City?????? Probably not quite!!!

Marmaris wasn't me!
With all the Units here, there wasn't much prettiness about the place. I did like the the old part of the city and the Castle, and the walk along the Long promenade was nice.

BUT.............I would hate to be here in peak season, I don't think there would be room to move.

About 200,000 people converge on this city for Summer holidays!!

Luckily, Marmaris was mainly used as a base for me to get to 'Rhodes, Dalyan and Datca. These towns and Peninsula's were lovely, very scenic, and are well worth catching a Dolmus for a look at.
My accommodation was good, and I had a good time here, but really have no desire to come back. I have seen and done all that I wanted to!

• Pros:A good base for visiting Rhodes via the ferry
  • Cons:Large, noisy, busy!
  • In a nutshell:Hotels, and more Hotels!
  • Last visit to Marmaris: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Dee, fantastic page about this Turkish gem. Can you believe that I haven't been to Turkey yet, although I have been to almost all European countries.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2010 at 10:42 AM

What a great introduction, Dee. A fabulous tip about your hotel/apartment. Like the detailed, informative tips that are quite for helpful for those who visit Marmaris.

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM

The bus to Datca sounds like a nice day trip.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM

Very enjoyable reading about Marmaris. You did quite a bit here Dee. The Boat tour sounds interesting. Great Hotel review. Thanks for the virtual tour.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I was there in late october and there were no brits around :)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Nice page Deidre. We visited early Oct'08, a day trip from Rhodes. All we did was eat, shop and go to carpet & jewellery shops with the tour guide. Might make it to the real Turkey mid 2010.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Marmaris

Have you been to Marmaris?

Latest Activity in Marmaris