"Where the English come to be beside the Seaside!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Marmaris by balhannah
Marmaris Travel Guide: 627 reviews and 1,131 photos
Marmaris is quite old, going back in history to 900BC.
When Marmaris was a part of the Ottoman empire, it name was Mimaras, then changed to Mermeris and finally Marmaris.
In 1522, the Ottoman Sultan "Suleyman the Magnificent" conquered the city.
If you visit the Castle in the old section of the city, you will see a photo of him!
The Castle has lovely views from its ramparts and is well worth a visit!
Also in this area, is the "old city" which is has plenty of windy, narrow streets just begging to be explored......... I found it an interesting and pretty area. Some of the streets are quite steep!
In days gone by, Marmaris used to be a quaint fishing village, it certainly isn't that these days! Hotels line street after street!
Units, Resorts, Hotels and any other accommodation you can think of is here.
When I first saw Marmaris, I couldn't believe how many Holiday resorts there were. How could they fill them all? Evidently they do in Summer they do as the English just love to come here and sunbake. I certainly saw plenty of snow white people and bright pink people!!!!!!
A GHOST CITY IN WINTER
I also was told by my Hotel, that they close over Winter, so does it become
a bit of a Ghost City?????? Probably not quite!!!
Marmaris wasn't me!
With all the Units here, there wasn't much prettiness about the place. I did like the the old part of the city and the Castle, and the walk along the Long promenade was nice.
BUT.............I would hate to be here in peak season, I don't think there would be room to move.
About 200,000 people converge on this city for Summer holidays!!
Luckily, Marmaris was mainly used as a base for me to get to 'Rhodes, Dalyan and Datca. These towns and Peninsula's were lovely, very scenic, and are well worth catching a Dolmus for a look at.
My accommodation was good, and I had a good time here, but really have no desire to come back. I have seen and done all that I wanted to!
- Pros:A good base for visiting Rhodes via the ferry
- Cons:Large, noisy, busy!
- In a nutshell:Hotels, and more Hotels!
This Restaurant was at the Hotel I stayed at. The Menu had a good variation of meals to choose from. I decided on the... more travel advice
Heading back to Bodrum from Marmaris, I was surprised to see the most beautiful two rows of Australian Gum Trees. It... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Marmaris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holiday for everyone!"
- "Sailing around Marmaris"
- "Marmaris City"
- "Where the English come to be beside the Seaside!!!"
- "Once a village town"
- "I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marmaris
- Hotels in Marmaris
- Transportation in Marmaris
- Nightlife in Marmaris
- Restaurants in Marmaris
- Shopping in Marmaris
- Warnings and Dangers in Marmaris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marmaris
- 16 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (247)
Have you been to Marmaris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marmaris
Photos in MarmarisSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 244 reviews, 694 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues