Pamukkale Things to Do Tips by balhannah
Pamukkale Things to Do: 178 reviews and 353 photos
After an earthquake in 60AD a Theatre was built against the hillside. You can see that it had quite a few Statues behind the stage. There are only a few remaining. It also had a seat for distinguished spectators, and this is located in the centre of the seating area. The seating area is very steep. This Theatre is one of the best examples of Roman Theatre decoration.
Worth the walk up the hill to have a look.
This is one of the largest preserved Ancient Cemeteries in Turkey. It is located outside the Northern walls of the city, and here you will see all types of Tombs & Funeral monuments dating from the Hellenistic era to early Christian times. On wandering around, I found lots of inscriptions. There is said to be 1200 tombs here, including Hellenistic tumili,(mound of earth over a grave) Roman Sarcophagi, Burial Chambers, and complete burial grounds from early Christian times. Interesting!
After you have climbed to the top of the Travertines, make sure that you head to the left. There is a boardwalk that takes you along the edge with the most beautiful views over the area. You see Mountains in the distance. I thought this was the prettiest section, and there was hardly anybody here. Also have a look at the other side, more people had found this side, probably because of the Museum, Gift shop was near it.
The travertines where you can splash around!
It is thought that the Travertines were formed over a course of 15,000years. As the 34degree celcius water gushes from underground springs with a Calcium bicarbonate content, it flows down the hillsides. Carbon monoxide gas rises and the Calcium bicarbonate dissolves, becomes sediment and turns into the White coloured Travertines. As you climb up to the top, following a "sort of" path, you will come across Travertines that have warm water in them. Also, along the side, water is running in a drain down the edge of the mountain. You are still allowed to splash and lay around in these pools, these are the only ones. Wear your swimming costume!
In the photo, entrance is on the left, beside lake
I guess we all come here for one thing, that is to visit the "Cotton castle" and to look around Hierapolis ruins. There are three entrances.
1 - Is in the township, you will see an Admission booth and you then walk between the travertines about half way up the mountainside. You MUST TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF.
If you are visiting on your own, have come by Bus, this is the Entrance you will use.
2. North Entrance is if you have a car. Drive about 2kms towards Karahayit. You pay your admission, then drive past the Cemetery to the top of the travertines and Hierapolis.
3. South Entrance, once again is with your own transport. You drive to a large parking lot south of the Plateau, then walk for 15minutes to reach the sights. Not the best, use the others.
Admission in 2009 was 20t/l ................this includes both of the sites.
Address: Pamukkale township
balhannah's Related Pages
Pamukkale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pamukkale and Hierapolis"
- "Pamukkale (Hierapolis) - The Cotton Castle"
- "THE WONDER OF PAMUKKALE"
- "HEIRAPOLIS ? ANCIENT HEALTH SPA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pamukkale
- Hotels in Pamukkale
- Transportation in Pamukkale
- Nightlife in Pamukkale
- Restaurants in Pamukkale
- Shopping in Pamukkale
- Warnings and Dangers in Pamukkale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pamukkale
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (611)
Have you been to Pamukkale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pamukkale
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 267 reviews, 783 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues