"LASCAUX - 'THE CAVES'" Lascaux by balhannah

Lascaux Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos

Famous Caves we visited near Montignac

After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town THONAC

• Last visit to Lascaux: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Never expected this here.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

So fascinating, I visited their website and the caves are just out of this world.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Another great place in France to add to the wish list:) Fascinating place that i had seen a special about long time ago.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 4:34 AM

I have always wanted to visit the Lascaux Caves, having learned all about them as a small child. But I didn't know that you were not allowed to visit the real caves any more (I understand why however) nor that no photos would be allowed (not sure I understand that, in a replica - except that it supports my theory that often such bans are to ensure you buy postcards etc rather than to protect valuable paintings etc!)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Yes, Dee, Lascaux are the most beautiful caves open to public in France (Cosquer and Chauvet are closed to public), and the copy in Lascaux is said to be almost as beautiful as the original; good you took some time driving in the Vezere valley.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Fascinating! That would interest me too, but then, if the original one is not open to the public, it might be different. Although I understand why they close it.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Great that you went to Lascaux! We were in the area many years ago, but Lascaux II was not yet finished, so we toured some other caves which were also fascinating.

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Lascaux

Have you been to Lascaux?

Latest Activity in Lascaux